C Drive Loaded - notice a file named temp_safetodeleterefreshfile_Attempt0_file0

Reaction score
I have a TB hard drive and it didn't have much in it. After installing Win 10, the recovery drive is now empty and the C drive is loaded. As follows:
Used 760 GB
free 148 GB

And there is a file in C whose name is in the subject line of this post. It's 676 GB

I searched for the file name in Google and came up with nothing. Everyone talks about Disk Cleanup which I did and I ran the CC Cleaner too.

Also, in Users --> Donna --- when I right click for properties, it says around 56 GB which I feel sure represents mostly my Documents folder.

I don't know yet what else is goofy because I can't get past the huge C drive consumption.

Anyone?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
And there is a file in C whose name is in the subject line of this post. It's 676 GB
Wow that is huge.
Can you safely browse the contents and determine what is there?
I've searched and can only find a couple other references to such a file anywhere on the planet and in both those instances they are more along the 100GB size range.
Normally when I see something filling up the root of C:\ I suspect a virus or other malware, have you scanned it (and your whole computer) with a suitable product, something like Eset online scanner?
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
Or perhaps MalwareBytes
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

I can't imagine how any such file / folder of that particular name or size might have been legitimately produced or what it might contain that you might possibly need.

Personally I would be taking steps to back it up to an external resource (not an easy process because of it's size) and once I was certain that it was backed up, I would get rid of it.
But that's just me.

Please keep us posted as to how you decide to proceed.
To say the least, it's very interesting purely from a curiosity standpoint.

Reaction score
We looked to see what kind of extension was on this huge file, and it just said "File." I could not browse it to see the contents, could not open in Word or anything else because of its size. I right clicked on it and scanned just that file with AVG and the result is "Shell extension scan finished -- no threat." I ran ESET as recommended. No threats found.

I decided to just delete the file! And it's even too big for the recycle bin. My data is all backed up and nothing much new added since downloading Win 10, so if I have to do a C wipe, I'm in good shape to do that, but that's not fun either. And now my C says 825 free of 909. That's more like it. Thanks for the reply. I'll be watching to see if anyone else posts something about this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the followup
Glad to hear you've gotten some of your space back.

Ask a Question