SOLVED Can I install Win 10 over possible corupted Win 7 drive ?

Reaction score
Hi
I am running a Win 7 & Win 8.1 dual boot system.
Just checked Windows Update and discovered that Win 10 is available to download. This would be straight forward if installing on Win 8.1, but I want to install over Win 7 on its own partition. However I have a problem. About a month ago I tried to log into my Win 7 drive on booting the PC but received a message to the effect that there was insufficient space on the Win 7 drive to boot into. Despite trying to overcome the problem it still persists. According to Disk Management the drive on which Win 7 is installed is Healthy and other partitions on the same drive are operating normally. Now, as I don't use Win 7 very much any way I would prefer to upgrade that drive with Win 10. Given the problem of booting into that drive, does anyone know if I would encounter any problem in directing the Win 10 install to that drive?

I suppose I could just reinstall Win 7 but then I would have to reinstall all the updates associated with that OS, a rather prolonged and wasteful process.

Thanks
David

Edit: I should add that I tried to reinstall Win 7 form a backup but that failed as well probably because the backup was done immediately before I encountered the problem so probably added the issue to the backup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
At this time, it appears that clean installs of Win 10 will not activate.
You can tell the installer to install it on the Win 7 partition and format the partition first.

Reaction score
You can tell the installer to install it on the Win 7 partition and format the partition first.

That is what I had originally intended to do, however it looks as though the Win 10 installer is looking to upgrade an existing Win 8.1 or Win 7 OS and as such it will, I understand. be looking for the product key for the original OS. With out the product key it looks as though I will start to experiencing problems rying to launch Win 10. I would really prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

Reaction score
Mate,

You could try the free version of ccleaner from Win 8.
Run ccleaner
Then go to : Options -> include
Include the Win 7 drive. It might clear the garbage out.

If it does, then get in to Win 7 and run the Win 10 update. (Provided your Win 7 is legitimate). Update Win 7 so you get to reserve your copy of Win 10. You shouldn't have activation problems.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Mate,

You could try the free version of ccleaner from Win 8.
Run ccleaner
Then go to : Options -> include
Include the Win 7 drive. It might clear the garbage out.

If it does, then get in to Win 7 and run the Win 10 update. (Provided your Win 7 is legitimate). Update Win 7 so you get to reserve your copy of Win 10. You shouldn't have activation problems.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that I will give it a try. Actually it just suddenly occurred to me that I could increase the space on the Win 7 partition by allocating space from the adjacent partition. This should then give me the addition space to boot into Win 7, assuming that the problem is one of space , as indicated, and not something else. But I will try your suggestion first.

Reaction score
If you have the space beside the Win 7 partition, it *should* work. You could shrink one of the other partitions to make some space.
Good luck.

Reaction score

I activated the clean install I did of Win 10 with no problem at all.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have that "installed key" too.
But, since MS does not publicly release it, I am not sure MS is going to support/acknowledge it either.

Reaction score
Well they must have acknowledged and support it because I am fully activated.
It activated the instant I connected the first time to the internet.
I verified it via the Properties in "This PC" window.
I'm not trying to be a "know it all" here just stating the facts.

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a "know it all" here just stating the facts.

Thank you.
Please don't misunderstand my intention.
I am not implying anything.

I have seen a similar tutorial from a reputable forum. So, obviously it works.
Just wonder why MS will not come out and give us the key.

Reaction score
Thank you for understanding, it's appreciated!

IMHO, I believe MS does what they do because they're MS.
They're contrary, baffling and a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

Look back on all the FUBARs they've done over the years:
Windows 98... oops we screwed up we need to release Windows 98SE
Windows ME... oops we really screwed up. Better fix this one quick.
Windows XP... great but still kinda buggy at times but the best so far.
Windows Vista... oops WTH did we do this for? Lots of glitches and bugs and stupid "control crap".
Windows Seven... now we're getting somewhere. Finally something that runs like a top.
Windows 8... we don't need no stinkin' Start Menu! We're MS!
Windows 8.1... breathe heavy sigh; okay, okay y'all can have the Start Menu back again (but not like it used to be).
Windows 9... oh crap we can't do that we'll just jump ahead here to...
Windows 10... finally we're cooking again. Let's let ALL Windows 7, 8, & 8.1 users get a FREE upgrade for one year.

:rolleyes: :cool:

Reaction score
I was in the Insider program from the start, like most here, I have that key. But it will not Activate.
I did a clean install on Sunday 2nd August and as of today, Thursday 6th August it is still has not activated.

The computer has been on 24hours a day since with access to the internet.

I was thinking about putting Win 8 back on, doing an upgrade to Win 10 then a clean install. But I have read that people who have done that....still have problems.

Reaction score
I was in the Insider program from the start, like most here, I have that key. But it will not Activate.
I did a clean install on Sunday 2nd August and as of today, Thursday 6th August it is still has not activated.

The computer has been on 24hours a day since with access to the internet.

I was thinking about putting Win 8 back on, doing an upgrade to Win 10 then a clean install. But I have read that people who have done that....still have problems.
If you have the space beside the Win 7 partition, it *should* work. You could shrink one of the other partitions to make some space.
Good luck.
Hi

Long story short.
Despite trying a number of possible solutions, none of which worked, I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall Win 7. Now I have a working Win 7 and after installing what seems like several hundred Windows Updates I am good to go for the installation of Win 10.
Thanks for your interest in trying to sort this for me it was much appreciated.

Regards
David

Ask a Question