Can I only load Word 10 onto one computer?

BML

Reaction score
I have just made what is rapidly looking to me the mistake of installing Windows 10. Leaving aside the fact that it keeps freezing there are a number of other minor issues and I am getting to the situation where I am seriously considering dumping all my computer kit and going for an Apple.

I was using a Word application which I think was Microsoft Office Word 10.

It had the ability to give me what I will refer to as a “Navigation” facility where the options that I set out below marked “1” would show on the top right hand corner of the Word document I was working on.

When I clicked onto “Find” in the clip below the option marked 1.that I set below a column marked “Navigation” opened up on the left hand side of the document I was working on and which I have marked as 2.

There were three options which I’ve marked from the left as “1” “2” “3”.

1. Showed a list of headings.

2. Showed all of the pages in miniature.

3. Showed a search facility. Type a word into “Find” it showed a list of where that word could be found.

The beauty of this application was that one could copy a paragraph heading and place the copy over a particular paragraph, highlight it, then open “Change Styles” and click onto (In my case I used) “Heading One and a copy of that paragraph heading moved into the Navigation pane or column. This gave me a long list of paragraph headings which I could look at in one go and therefore helped me not to repeat myself. It also helped me to find paragraph headings.

The computer engineer who installed Windows 10 on my desktop moved Word 10 onto my laptop and appears to have fixed it so that all I have now on my desktop is Word 7 (I think). He told me that Microsoft do not allow the transfer of Software licenses between machines yet I’m certain that I used to run Word 10 on my Desktop and Laptop obviously not at the same time because I am not capable of such dexterity. As a result all I have when I open up “Find” on Word 10 on my desktop is that useless box shown below as “3” which gives me none of the facilities that the other Word application does and that’s supposed to be progress.

Anyway, the question is am I really stuck in a situation where Windows will not allow me to load Windows ten onto two machines even though One can only use one of them at a time? I attempted to show the clips I took relating to this question but it dosent seem to have worked so I hope the verbal explanation does.

clip_image002.jpg

clip_image004.jpg

Microsoft Office Word 2007

“3”

clip_image006.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Up to and including Office 2010 the EULA for the office suite was worded.
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Device. You may install one copy of the software on one device. That device is the “licensed device.”
b. Licensed Device. You may only use one copy of the software on the licensed device at a time.
c. Portable Device. You may install another copy of the software on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.
Which most everyone interpreted as meaning a one desktop plus one laptop installation.
RESOURCE: http://download.microsoft.com/Docum...lish_601a404e-f982-449f-9671-a4d040c42b59.pdf

I believe that may have changed with Office 2013 and newer.
I believed that with the introduction of Office 365 they wanted to make their perpetual licensed products less attractive, hoping to attract users to their annual subscription based products.

Last edited:

BML

Reaction score
I attempted to get a response from Microsoft with no success so I'm now taking legal advice for which I will have to pay. If the end result is that I can not use this software on my laptop when I'm not using it on my desktop then stuff Windows and I move over to Apple thereby dumping what is turning out to be the misery of Windows 10 and their penny pinching marketing.

Ask a Question