Can I use Remote Desktop in Windows 10 Home?

Reaction score
I purchased a PC with Windows 10 Home. Now I find out in the near future I will have to be able to log into a remote computer (in another state) using Remote Desktop. So I was told that Windows 10 Home does not include Remote Desktop and that I will have to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for $100 to use it. Well I checked and I do see the Remote Desktop app in Windows 10 Home so I am a bit confused.

I will only be logging into the remote PC from my PC, just the one way. I am not quite certain which OS the remote PC is using, it's either XP or Windows 7 Pro I believe.

So bottom line, will I be able to log into the remote PC using the Remote desktop app that I see in Windows 10 Home? Or will I have to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for it to work? I am getting some confusing answers, someone said if I am only logging into the remote PC one way I can use the Windows 10 Home but I have to know for sure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll try to make this as simple as possible.
Windows 10 Home can launch and run mstsc.exe (MicroSoft Terminal Server Client) and connect to any Windows computer running Pro version or higher.
Windows 10 Home cannot be configured to accept or host an inbound terminal server session as it does not include the proper .dlls to do so. No version of Windows lower (down level) than Pro version can.

So as long as you are connecting from your Windows 10 Home version machine to a machine that is running
I will only be logging into the remote PC from my PC, just the one way. I am not quite certain which OS the remote PC is using, it's either XP or Windows 7 Pro I believe.
You should be fine.

Reaction score
One more question if you don't mind...will I be able to print to my printer from the remote PC? Or is that one of the things not possible because I don't have the pro version of Windows 10 and can only log into the remote PC from my end. In the event that I can, how would I set that up? Do I just install the software from my printer on the remote PC and when I want to print, choose it as the printer and it will print on my printer?

Thanks again for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep, that's pretty much it.
Just make sure and confirm that the connections options include the proper check boxes. Usually checked for printer by default.

Capture.JPG

And then make sure that there is a suitable driver on the remote computer (for that operating system) for your local printer and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
I'll try to make this as simple as possible.
Windows 10 Home can launch and run mstsc.exe (MicroSoft Terminal Server Client) and connect to any Windows computer running Pro version or higher.
Windows 10 Home cannot be configured to accept or host an inbound terminal server session as it does not include the proper .dlls to do so. No version of Windows lower (down level) than Pro version can.

So as long as you are connecting from your Windows 10 Home version machine to a machine that is running

You should be fine.

Hello,
I know this is an old thread but, if possible, I would like to know where I can download mstsc.exe for a windows 10 HOME.
I would have to remotely connect from that HOME to a PRO.

thanks

Reaction score
It is not possible to use Remote Desktop for Windows 10 Home edition, you can use Remote Desktop to connect to Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions.
In your case, you would need to upgrade to either the Professional or Enterprise edition.

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
if you want to upgrade windows 10 home to windows 10 pro then you can buy it from softkeyworld.com

Reaction score
@Robinpro:
I knew that HOME cannot be reached by RDP, but I thought that at least I can reach a PRO from a HOME

isn't it?

@Bighorn:
already searched on the web and already seen those links, they are only repair/fix/upgrade tools... all of them....not download

Reaction score
The question is, what you will be doing remotely on the computer.
I personally am using a program called " Teamviewer " to remotely access my pc at work
so I can do my maintenance and do some work on it from home. Teamviewer is free for private use.

Reaction score
yes, I use teamviewer too, but a friend doesn't want to pay for a license and he prefers to raise a vpn and then go remotely with RDP...

at home he has win10HOME, and in office he has win10PRO

then I hope he is able to connect with RDP from HOME to PRO...

isnt' it?

Reaction score
yes, but they check the time you use it...
after a while they activate blocks..

I have a license and it is for sure

Ask a Question