SOLVED Remote Desktop Lag

EOW

Reaction score
Win10 Home connecting to a Win10Pro computer using RDP. When first connected there is a lag in refresh time but as I get further into the session RDP runs slower and slower until the lag time reaches 20 seconds or more about 2 hours into the session. If I disconnect and then reconnect I get the same speed as if I had just logged on. The as the session moves on it get slower and slower again.

Internet connection seems fine, working directly on the Win10 Pro machine shows no lagging.

Any one know what the problem might be?

Thanks, Ed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Ed :).

Are you running "mstsc.exe" RDP, rather than the store app version? If so, can you please try editing the connection settings to disable access to all local resources (i.e. no clipboard, printer, audio sharing). Be sure to check the "more" button to make sure that no drives are shared. Also reduce the performance (under the experience tab) to "low-speed broadband".

This should make sure that there isn't anything weird going on in the background, which sometimes happens when resources are shared (newly shared drives undergoing a remote AV scan, etc...).

I'd be interested to see how it performs with these low bandwidth settings and to see if it still slows down, as if it does, it may not be RDP but perhaps a network/throttling problem.

EOW

Reaction score
Hi Ian:
Your suggested changes did seem to make a big difference during my session last night. I think it will take several nights of testing to make sure that it was these adjustments rather than the network causing the lag. Reason: I am controlling a remote telescope in an observatory with "rural" DSL Internet. But I suspect its the RDP adjustments as others at our observatory site are not experiencing the same problems. I have passed on your advice to one other member of our group who was also experiencing lag problems.

Many thanks,
Ed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's great news Ed - I hope it continues to work well :).

The telescope remote access sounds fascinating! I've got a small Nexstar 4SE, but unfortunately we live on the outskirts of a city, so we need to travel an hour or so away to make the most of it.

EOW

Reaction score
Hi Ian:
Second night went well. Big problem seemed to have been solved. Remote observing is nice, dark skies, scope controlled from home. But it is not for the faint of heart, especially for a person with limited skills in networking and the finer points of Win10. Fortunately several of my partners have the needed skills and mostly keep me out of trouble. And then, as I discovered, there is help right here. I am very glad to have discovered this forum and I thank you for your help.
Ed

Reaction score
It works fine now!!! You have helped eliminate one of my apathetic, yet lingering, peeves - Thank you :)

Ask a Question