Can not access Network drive private folder.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just built a new desktop PC and installed Windows 10 Pro.

I have a Seagate 3TByte NAS on my network which has just one account on it.

Whilst I can access the public folder from my new PC, I can't access the private one. I enter the user name and password but get a message saying it is not accessible - see attached image.

I have no problems accessing this folder on 4 other computers:-
1. A desktop with Windows 7 Pro.
2. A laptop with Windows 7 Home.
3. A laptop with Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro).
4. My works laptop with Windows 7 Pro.

In all 4 cases above I just enter the user name and password and get in with no problems.

Being very new to Windows 10 I assume that there is something that needs setting in my new PC, but have no idea where to start.

Any assistance with this issue would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Nick.

No Access.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Nick,

have you checked that the settings on the other working PC's show the same on the one that won't work?. :)

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for reply, but I don't know what settings to look at. I never had to change anything on the 4 working computers to access the private folder - just enter the user nmae and password when prompted and I was in OK.

Only just started using Windows 10 and struggling to find my way around it. When I installed it I used a USB stick and set most of the privacy settings to on - maybe something there is causing it, but I have no idea where to look or what to adjust.

Nick.

Reaction score
Have you looked at this setting in the "lost" computer:

It's in Settings - network and internet - Advanced network settings. - Network and sharing Centre.
Then, over on the left "Change Advanced sharing settings"
Select "All Networks" and, at the bottom,
"Turn off password protected sharing."

Reaction score
seems by what he posted is someone is already on the account. disconnect the other users from then you can access,
I also had that issue then found one system failed to disconnect.

Reaction score
I thought it could be that, but still get the problem if other computers are off.

Thing is, I can access the private folder on the other 4 computers at the same time.

Now thinking it may be something to do with mapping the drive. I get an error message when I attempt to map the drive saying it is currently mapped.

However, net use shows there are no entries in the list - see attached image.

Mapping Error.jpg

Reaction score
Mapping Error.jpg

Hi Nick,

in your pic, there is a complaint about user passwords, that might be where your problem lies?. :confused:

Reaction score
Hello Wolfie,

It does indeed say it is mapped with a different username and password and I should disconnect existing mappings. However, if you look at the command "net use" below there are no entries in the list to disconnect.

Nick.

Reaction score
Hi Nick,

it might be a character error, your name written in upper case when it should be lower case (as an example), spaces between user names and things like that can throw the system off!. I don't really have much of an answer about networking sorry. :)

Reaction score
Hi,

Not typed incorrect - if I remember correctly there is a message if you type in the incorrect password.

To me it looks like it's spmething to do with mapping as it says it is currently mapped using a different username and password, but there is nothing in the list.

Don't know where it's come from or how to remove it.

Reaction score
Hi Nick,

how many accounts on the computer do you have?, if you have accounts you don't use, try removing them and see what happens afterwards. :)

Reaction score
it is currently mapped using a different username and password
Hi Nick,

are you logged in using your MS account?, if you are, it might be worth your while to check out your MS account settings and see what computers are connected to the account, the blockage might be there?. :)

Reaction score
I don't have a microsoft accont on that computer - it's logged in with a local account. All computers, including the work one, are used with local accounts. Works OK on them, so does not look like that is the problem.

I suspect the problem may be solved if I can cure the mapping issue.

Ask a Question