SOLVED Can not see music file extensions

Reaction score
So I have a music folder with both MP3 and WMA files. When I look at the folder with Win 10 file explorer it turns on the Music Tools contextual tab so I can't see file details. I want to convert some of the WMA to MP3 so I need to see the file extensions.

How do I see music file details?? How do I turn OFF Contextual Tabs??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
HideExtensions.JPG

Unchecking that box should show you your extensions, also just above checking "Always show menus" and generally turning your folder view settings to details will sometimes help.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and I will check setting in folder options.
But...
The explorer window gets reformatted in columns with TAG information like Name, Title, Artist, Album when all I want is the normal 'details' file view.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the folder or parent container if the issue involves multiple subfolders.
Choose properties
Select the Customize tab
Change the drop down from Music to General items and check the box to "Also apply this template to all subfolders"
See if that helps with your issue.

Reaction score
Ah yes I will try that tonight. I have done that with Win 7 when opening a folder was taking a loooong time:)

Thank you!

Ask a Question