Cannot print to a shared printer on my windows 10 machine from any other computer

Reaction score
I am trying to install a shared printer on my new windows 10 machine on my XP computer.

The printer is shared on the windows 10 machine and passwords is turned off.

On the XP machine I went to control panel and selected printers and selected add a printer.

I then selected "A network printer or a printer attached to another computer"

I then Selected Connect to this printer and entered "\\FRANKSNEWDELL\HP Photosmart 8200 Series"

It then asks me for my User name and password which it is not supposed to do but I type these in and get the following message

"The credentials supplied are not sufficient to access this printer"

and I can go no further.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You will need to authenticate when prompted for credential with the machine name followed by a backslash "\" and then a user name for and on the machine hosting the network resource and then the password for that user on that machine, which will look something like this

FranksNewDell\Frank
P@$$w0rd

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You will need to authenticate when prompted for credential with the machine name followed by a backslash "\" and then a user name for and on the machine hosting the network resource and then the password for that user on that machine, which will look something like this

FranksNewDell\Frank
P@$$w0rd

Yes I did that and that's when I get the message "The credentials supplied are not sufficient to access this printer"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how you turn off a password or why you would even want to turn off a password but I do know that generally speaking, since Windows XP SP3, you could and can expect some pretty strange behavior when attempting to access network resources with no / blank passwords.
I recommend that you create a user on the machine hosting the printer with the same user name and password that you use to log onto the Windows XP machine. IF the account on the XP machine doesn't have a password, then give it one.

Reaction score
I made an account on the Windows 10 computer with the same name and password as on my XP machine. Now I get the following message.
"The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials. Overwriting the existing set of credentials may cause some running applications to stop function properly. Do you really want to overwrite the existing set of credentials?" Yes or No
If I press Yes then I get the following message.
"The credentials supplied are not sufficient to access this printer."
Why though is it wanting to overwrite anything?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm at a loss and don't know what might be going on.
Accessing a network shared printer should not be this difficult.
Are you running any third party security suite on either or both computers?

Reaction score
I am trying to install a shared printer on my new windows 10 machine on my XP computer.

On the XP machine I went to control panel and selected printers and selected add a printer.

I then selected "A network printer or a printer attached to another computer"

I then Selected Connect to this printer and entered "\\FRANKSNEWDELL\HP Photosmart 8200 Series"

It then asks me for my User name and password which it is not supposed to do but I type these in and get the following message

"The credentials supplied are not sufficient to access this printer"

and I can go no further.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have a workaround for your problem. I got the information elsewhere. I am just explaining the method in simpler words.
George

If you have problems trying to install a network printer on an Xp computer to the shared printer on Win10:

(the win10 is plugged directly into the computer!)

try this

Firstly

On the win10 computer indicate the share name then in the securities window list all the users that will be using this printer. These will be user codes and will verified by win10.

If you do not know the name of the win10 machine then do this now.

Summary:

Computer name

Printer share name

List of permitted users.

Secondly sign on to the xp computer with a user name that is mentioned in the securities list above.

Then proceed as follows:

1) click start then click printers and faxes

2) click add printer ( in left pane)

3) click next

4) select LOCAL printer attached to this computer: click next

5) Select create a new PORT. Select “local port” for the port type and click next.

6) System asks for port name: enter path and share name for example \\win10computername\printersharename this is similar to mapping a network drive, instead of server, folder it is server printer share name.

7) Select printer brand and model number (for the driver)

8) Follow the rest of the wizard.

9) Do not share printer. Win10 will manage it

10) Print test page, print a simple document.

Reaction score
I got the port created but at the end of the printer setup wizard it gave me the message "Unable to Install Printer. The print processor does not exist."

Reaction score
I tried this on an XP system only. There is a solution for other OS. I will look for them. If I find them I will send you a link. Are you sure that the win10 printer is working when you tried this. ( and is shareable, & your user listed on win10) Also check if you can see the win10 shared folders.
(It may take me a few days to get back to you.)
Sorry that it did not work for you
George

Reaction score
George's method worked for me.

I already had the printer driver installed on my XP machine. This may be significant.
When it came to select printer model number at step 7, I just used "laserjet" since "laserjet 1015" was not listed.

Thanks George.

Reaction score
George's method worked for me.

I already had the printer driver installed on my XP machine. This may be significant.
When it came to select printer model number at step 7, I just used "laserjet" since "laserjet 1015" was not listed.

Thanks George.

Post Script

Another thing that may or may not be significant is that I had already set up remote access to Win 10 files and printers from my XP machine . In order to do that, you must log in as a Win 10 user using a password. (If the user does not have a password, you cannot get access.) Even though the user has a password, in Windows 10 you can set up a default user to not require a password when Windows first starts.

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm at a loss and don't know what might be going on.
Accessing a network shared printer should not be this difficult.
Are you running any third party security suite on either or both computers?
HI, I am facing the same issue with 2 computers in my network. I need solution for the same.

Reaction score
I have HP 1020 printer is installed on Windows 7 Pro PC and shared in network. I am trying to install that shared printer on Laptop with WIndows 8.0 OS. While accessing the shared PC it is allowing me to access shared folders and even showing the shared printer as well. However it is not allowing me to install it. It is giving me same credentials errors mentioned in above post. I tried to install another printer, shared from another PC which is with WIndows 10 OS on this same laptop. But it is giving same error. Please give me solutions.
Regards,
Avinash Mahamuni.

Reaction score
Don't know if it exactly fits your situation but I have 2 printers [HP LaserJet Pro M148 and HP OfficeJet Pro 9015] that are connected via Ethernet cable to my Wireless Router. The printers are not "shared" as such, any Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi computer that connects to the Router and has software/drivers installed can print to either one as desired, work with WIndows and Linux. As for shared files I use 2 x 2TB NAS drives also connected via cable to the Router and any computer can have them Mapped and mostly used for data storage. Right now I'm on my Win11 Notebook using Wi-Fi. I've not had the printer issues with the Windows updates as I'm not using a printer server.
1635603263543.png

Ask a Question