SOLVED Cannot print

Reaction score
Since receiving the latest updates I cannot print. When I push the PRINT button it goes directly to "save print output". But still it will not print. This happens for everything such as Word, e-mails etc. The printer is working correctly; I can print a Printer Status Report from the PC so they are clearly communicating. Any ideas?

Reaction score
In Settings, Devices right-click the printer icon then click the upper Printer Properties, not the bottom one. Do a Print page/test page, if it works close that then right-click the printer icon and click Set as Default. Also check in your program's File, Print that the correct device is chosen. Sometimes an update will reset that and redirect to a type of document.

Reaction score
I have Windows 10. It was not exactly as you suggested, but I did get to the part that says print test page. That did exactly as before - it sent the request to "save" and did not print. I confirm that the correct printer is chosen in the print file.

Reaction score
It does appear the printer can't be recognized. Some printers are sensitive as to whether plugged into a USB 2 or a USB 3 port.

Then I'd uninstall the device and all accompanying software, reboot then go to manufacturer's Web site, download the appropriate software, install and try again. It's best to assure the proper edition is obtained based upon the edition of Windows, either 32-bit/x86 or 64-bit/x64.

Reaction score
I did as you suggest. No change; it still wants to save but not to print. Surely, if it is not even getting to the printer, the problem is elsewhere. Something is instructing it to save but not to print. Shall I add that if I try to print from the saved document I still get the same action. No printing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking when a printer is behaving as you describe the system is convinced for whatever reason that you want to Print to File, hence the save dialog box that you are getting.
Go into Devices and Printers, select then right click the printer that you are using and hopefully the system is defaulting to and from the context menu, select printer properties (not just properties), then select the "Ports" tab and confirm that the printer is in fact using the proper port, be that USB or Network protocol port or however else the printer is actually connected to your computer.

Reaction score
1. The printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8710. I have used their print and scan doctor. It was unable to print a test page; it went to save as before. But it was able to print an internal test page using instructions from the computer, so surely the connection between the two is OK. I also can scan correctly. The print and scan doctor tells me it is a software problem and I should re-install it. But as you know, I did this yesterday.
2. I am not seeing what you describe. When I go into Devices and Printers and select the correct one, nothing happens when I right click. A left click produces "Open queue" and "Manage" and "Remove device".

Reaction score
As mentioned by other posters, make sure the printer you are trying to use is set as the default printer. If it isn't, click "Manage", "Set as default".

Ben

Reaction score
INormally, if you wish to print from a program, and if you have more than one printer configured, the subsequent print display offers you the choice. _ No real need to select a printer as the default, unless you do not wat to be bothered with the dialogue

1565624019308.png

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
2. I am not seeing what you describe. When I go into Devices and Printers and select the correct one, nothing happens when I right click. A left click produces "Open queue" and "Manage" and "Remove device".
Right clicking the printer should provide the following context menu
Capture.PNG

And selecting your printer from that menu should provide the ability to select "Ports" from the menu bar and confirm that the proper port is select and that "FILE" (Print to file) is not selected.
Capture2.PNG

Reaction score
Thank you all. I can now print. I do not think it was anything connected with your suggestions. I was just trying everything and it happened.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
That is interesting, Roger. There is another thread, where I had exactly the same experience. Nothing worked, then suddenly all was back to normal. Seems it can sometomes take a while tofind the path again

Ask a Question