Cannot send email from Word or Excel

Reaction score
I am unable to send an email in Outlook 2013 from Word or Excel. I get this message when trying to do so. Outlook is selected as the default email program. This seems to be a problem with many users. I had the issue on my Windows 7 PC and now I have the same issue with Windows 10 even after a reinstall of Microsofr Office.

:

Reaction score
I had a file attached to this thread yesterday. It is gone today. Reattached.

Attachments

• Email_issue.jpg
    Email_issue.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 224

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you checked for any add-ins in Outlook 2013.
Certain third party add-ins have been identified as a cause of this issues. Most recently some Adobe Add-ins as well as some from iTunes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm interested in the title of your post as well as this sentence in the body of the post
I am unable to send an email in Outlook 2013 from Word or Excel.
Why, with Outlook 2013 installed are you sending email "from Word or Excel"?

Could you briefly describe what specific action(s) you are using when this notice is produced.
I don't believe I have ever sent email from within Word or Excel, so I am unable to understand what exactly you're experiencing.

I frequently use the function "Send to" "Mail Recipient" to send a doc or spreadsheet or other file as an "attachment" which then goes via Outlook

Reaction score
I'm interested in the title of your post as well as this sentence in the body of the post

Why, with Outlook 2013 installed are you sending email "from Word or Excel"?

Could you briefly describe what specific action(s) you are using when this notice is produced.
I don't believe I have ever sent email from within Word or Excel, so I am unable to understand what exactly you're experiencing.

I frequently use the function "Send to" "Mail Recipient" to send a doc or spreadsheet or other file as an "attachment" which then goes via Outlook
Simple. When working in Word or Excel there is an option on the ribbon to email the file. By clicking on "Email" the file is automatically added as an attachment and the Outlook email message box opens. This feature will not work on my Office 2013.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-10 163842.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-10 163842.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 197

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't have that option as I hadn't customized my ribbon bar.
Does the same thing happen when you right click the same file in file explorer and select the Send to -> Mail Recipient option?
Do you get the same error / info box?

Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't have that option as I hadn't customized my ribbon bar.
Does the same thing happen when you right click the same file in file explorer and select the Send to -> Mail Recipient option?
Do you get the same error / info box?
Yes, I get the same error message when I use send to email recipient in file explorer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible that your Office Suite is missing some recent updates?
Check to see which version of Outlook you have installed.

Capture1.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I managed to find a recent MS Document which seems to address your specific issue with the cause associated with a particular registry key.
You might check and see if this might have some application to your problem.
It suggests that a repair fixes the problem, however I've seen many posts in various resources that say that the registry key problem needs to be addressed prior to the repair inorder for it to work.

Reaction score
I managed to find a recent MS Document which seems to address your specific issue with the cause associated with a particular registry key.
You might check and see if this might have some application to your problem.
It suggests that a repair fixes the problem, however I've seen many posts in various resources that say that the registry key problem needs to be addressed prior to the repair inorder for it to work.

Registry key is correct and the fix does not solve the issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That pretty much exhausts everything I can find.
I'll assume based on previous posts regarding Outlook and "default" settings that you have your "MAILTO" set to Outlook.

Capture.PNG

I'll also assume that you've seen the multiple posts regarding people having installed a third party mail program (ThunderBird specifically), automagically fixing the problem. Reporting never having to actually setup an email account within the program, just the simple act of installing it, allowing it to temporarily be the default mail program before switching back to Outlook.

Reaction score
That pretty much exhausts everything I can find.
I'll assume based on previous posts regarding Outlook and "default" settings that you have your "MAILTO" set to Outlook.

View attachment 12549

I'll also assume that you've seen the multiple posts regarding people having installed a third party mail program (ThunderBird specifically), automagically fixing the problem. Reporting never having to actually setup an email account within the program, just the simple act of installing it, allowing it to temporarily be the default mail program before switching back to Outlook.
Yes. My default app by protocol is set to Outlook. I have not tried ThunderBird.

Ask a Question