SOLVED Cannot sign in to microsoft account in Windows 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try using the on screen keyboard option from the ease of access icon on the sign in screen.
Additionally, use the "Eye" icon inside the password box to confirm that the password is being entered exactly as you expect (case sensitive).

Reaction score
I have been searching other forums and I see others who have mentioned this same problem, but I still cannot find a fix. I have not found any solutions that work so far.

The situation is that I upgraded from win7 to 10 and I have a basic "local administrator account". When I go to my account settings and try to click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead", nothing happens (there is a brief background window that flashes and then nothing happens).

I had the same issue. I would try to login to my outlook via an app, xbox, mail, your email and accounts, add account etc... would not work. I even called microsoft and they wanted 100 dollars. So I figured it out myself... go to settings. search "admin". multiple choices will come up pick "administrative tools". then double click on "local security policy" then on the left side under the folder "local Policies" click on security options. a SCARY long list will appear. but do not panic. click on "Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts" it may be blank, change it to "this policy is disabled" (if you want to know why, click on the "explain tab" in this same window and it will explain what each option means) I made this change and restarted my computer and it has been working ever since!!!!

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem . Recently upgraded to Windows 10. Now I cannot access any of my Microsoft email accounts (msn.com, live.com). I am logged on with a local account, not a Microsoft account. I'd appreciate any feedback on where I went wrong or suggestions for remaining a local user but still accessing my email accounts.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I have been searching other forums and I see others who have mentioned this same problem, but I still cannot find a fix. I have not found any solutions that work so far.

The situation is that I upgraded from win7 to 10 and I have a basic "local administrator account". When I go to my account settings and try to click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead", nothing happens (there is a brief background window that flashes and then nothing happens).

Similarly, if I try to login to the xbox one app, it also says that it could not sign me in. If I click on the "sign in with a different Microsoft account", it presents me with the option to "choose an account: Microsoft account". When I click on that, again nothing happens at all.

I get the same results if I try to turn on Cortana-- when she eventually asks to connect to a Microsoft account, I click "sign in" and again nothing happens (here again I sometimes see a brief window flash in the background but I never get a login screen.

Last but not least, I get this same result if I try to add a Microsoft account to the Mail App in Win10. As soon as I try to click to add an Outlook/Hotmail account, it flashes and nothing happens. I am able to add other types of accounts to Mail (google, etc). (Oh, and if I try to login to the Microsoft Store I also get the same login problem as described).

I'm really bummed b/c I cannot use a lot of features in Windows 10 and I have no idea how to hook into a Microsoft account.

Things I have tried: I run windows updates constantly just to be sure, I have rest my "clock" and time settings repeatedly, I have made sure my location settings are turned 'on'. I have tried turning all of these things off and then on, then rebooting and checking for updates...still no way to login to Microsoft account :/

any ideas? thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I was having same problems and I did these three steps but try #3 first!
1.) Set UAC to default values if not there already.
2.) Grant 'system' ownership of local drive.
3.) Disable any and all pop-up blockers in browsers

Reaction score

Similarly, if I try to login to the xbox one app, it also says that it could not sign me in. If I click on the "sign in with a different Microsoft account", it presents me with the option to "choose an account: Microsoft account". When I click on that, again nothing happens at all.

I get the same results if I try to turn on Cortana-- when she eventually asks to connect to a Microsoft account, I click "sign in" and again nothing happens (here again I sometimes see a brief window flash in the background but I never get a login screen.

Last but not least, I get this same result if I try to add a Microsoft account to the Mail App in Win10. As soon as I try to click to add an Outlook/Hotmail account, it flashes and nothing happens. I am able to add other types of accounts to Mail (google, etc). (Oh, and if I try to login to the Microsoft Store I also get the same login problem as described).

I'm really bummed b/c I cannot use a lot of features in Windows 10 and I have no idea how to hook into a Microsoft account.

Things I have tried: I run windows updates constantly just to be sure, I have rest my "clock" and time settings repeatedly, I have made sure my location settings are turned 'on'. I have tried turning all of these things off and then on, then rebooting and checking for updates...still no way to login to Microsoft account :/

any ideas? thanks in advance!

I have the same problem and got it fixed with this method:
  1. Press WIN + R keys to open the Run box. type msconfig and hit Enter.
  2. Check "Hide all Microsoft services" and then click Disable all.
  3. Click Apply. Restart and try to log in.
Hope this will also work with people who experienced the same issue.

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue, however, all I am trying to do is sign into an existing Microsoft Account, not create a new one.

My predicament occurs for various reasons: First and foremost, whenever I try to sign into the Microsoft Store, the sign in pop-up windows flashes on-screen for less than a second before disappearing. Repeated attempts ensue the same outcome. Similarly, attempting to sign in to anything Xbox-related (in my case, Xbox Live via the Minecraft Windows 10 Beta app), the same issue occurs -- the sign in window pops up for less than a second before disappearing. Additionally, whenever I investigated the problem by navigating in to Settings -> Accounts -> "Your email and accounts" (on Windows 10) and trying to manage any of the accounts under "Email, calendar, and contacts" or "Accounts used by other apps" the same issue occurs (of course, clicking "Manage my Microsoft account" opens in a browser).

I've had this problem before and I believe I've fixed it without having to create another account, so if that is possible, that would be best. If not, as long as it is possible to delete any created users as I only need the one, the one that seems to be having trouble again.

If you need any other information, feel free to request it, I'm sure I could find it for you. Please, help.

Ask a Question