Can't enter password at login screen

Reaction score
When I power on my laptop, I am sometimes unable to enter my password. I will list the steps that I take and where this problem occurs:

1. Hit laptop power button
2. At this point the screen has an image as the background, and it shows the date/time in the lower left.
3. I click and drag upwards, which normally makes the background go hazy and provides me with the field to enter my password.
- However, roughly 50% of the time when I drag upwards, I can just see the background, and the password field doesn't appear. No input that I have found from the
keyboard or mouse will alter this screen.
4. What I have found solves this problem is closing my laptop, thus powering down. Then reopening my laptop and repeating from the start by pressing the power.

The issue is that this can happen again and again if I am unlucky. It is very annoying when the small chance happens where it takes 5 tries to be able to enter the password to enter. Nothing else about my laptop has any issues. Once I can enter the password it is smooth sailing.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Why are you dragging......at that screen just hit the spacebar and the password field will pop up.

Reaction score
That is called the "Lock screen", as mentioned above, press the space bar or Enter and the login field will appear, you can switch the Lock screen picture off if you want!. :)

1613377232435.png

Reaction score
Hitting spacebar has the exact same affect as hitting enter, or dragging with your mouse. I don't think it has to do with what key you hit to get the login.

With a bit of trial and error, I think ctrl+alt+delete brings up the login field when nothing else will. I will try using that for a few days and see if that is correct, or just random chance.

Ask a Question