SOLVED Can't Find Windows Contacts

Reaction score
I had saved my email address book off my W XP machine ( Outlook Express ) as a WAB file in my external hard drive. I imported it & now I can't find it anywhere! It was supposed to be in Windows Mail ( Hate it!). Where/how do I find it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I don't suppose there is any chance that you still have the XP box with Outlook Express still available?
IF so you can export your OE contacts as a .CSV file and then import it into people.live.com which is where the new Windows 10 Universal "Mail" app gets its' people information from, assuming of course that you are currently using a Microsoft Account on your Windows 10 machine.
IF not then you may have to look into Windows Live Mail. I believe that it can still import a .wab file although I can't say for certain.
In my opinion Windows Live Mail is a more suitable solution as an email client.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials

Last edited:
Reaction score
I still have my XP; not giving that up just yet. I am using a Microsoft account on the W10 machine.

I did click your provided link, but it tells me nothing about the appearance & usability of Windows Live mail. Is it very similar to Outlook Express? I liked having multiple folders for emails & I found that email client user friendly

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes..... it's very similar and certainly more robust when it comes to setting up folders and coordinating contacts and calendars.
I don't think you'll find the interface too difficult to configure exactly as you want it.
I keep hoping that at some point they'll ramp up the Universal Mail app and make it more similar to Live Mail or actual Outlook email client, but so far they've left it pretty bare-bones.

Reaction score
Ok, I've downloaded just Windows Live Mail & it magically seems to have pulled my Outlook Express address book over... gremlins, I guess.
2 other issues:
how can I create an icon for Live Mail on my desktop?
and How do I set a larger font as a default?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail
Right click
wlmail.exe
Choose send to -> desktop (create shortcut)
That should take care of item #1
As far as item #2 where do you want to set "a large font as default"??
Everywhere or just in Live Mail??

Reaction score
the desktop shortcut just took me to this ( 1st time using snipping tool) I want the shortcut to take me directly to the mailbox account in 1 go

upload_2016-1-21_16-4-58.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
PS: never saw wlmail.exe when I rightclicked
Then you probably shouldn't have right clicked an added a shortcut that is unneeded.
If you are hiding file extensions then perhaps you may not have seen the .exe file extension but you should see

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
this issue still isn't solved, but I have the bigger issue in that I can't send email from Windows Live Mail. I'm about ready to try Thunderbird

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't send email from Windows Live Mail
The only thing I might suggest is to double check all your settings with respect to your outgoing and incoming server settings.
They need to be exactly as your email provider recommends regarding port number and encryption selection.
Typically if your google your email provider and live mail you should get the proper settings
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-set-up-windows-mail-to-work-with-a-gmail-ac.html
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail...p/Setting-up-email-with-Windows-7/td-p/745608
As you can see from the two examples above (Gmail and Comcast) each configuration is different depending on what the actual email host server requires.

Reaction score
I had saved my email address book off my W XP machine ( Outlook Express ) as a WAB file in my external hard drive. I imported it & now I can't find it anywhere! It was supposed to be in Windows Mail ( Hate it!). Where/how do I find it?
I always use the .PST file and never had any issues... as recommended by MS

Reaction score
Well, I finally had time to deal with this. I at least now have a Windows Live Mail shortcut on my desktop.....o_O
I do have my contact list from Outlook Express, just in multiples of 3, but that's easy to clean up

Earthlink had me change the outgoing port so I've sent a test email to a friend. What is troubling is that it's still sitting in the Outbox, rather than the sent folder.

Reaction score
Well, I finally had time to deal with this. I at least now have a Windows Live Mail shortcut on my desktop.....o_O
I do have my contact list from Outlook Express, just in multiples of 3, but that's easy to clean up

Earthlink had me change the outgoing port so I've sent a test email to a friend. What is troubling is that it's still sitting in the Outbox, rather than the sent folder.
double check to insure the info is set correctly. if not then it will set there for a very long time. ihad the same until I manually set all info correctly

Reaction score
I think I will call the main issue-can't find windows contacts- solved & post a fresh question for other issues

Ask a Question