Windows update won't update and troubleshooter can't find any problems

Reaction score
I have tried and tried to put in these same two updates from November and December but there's always an error installing them and when I try to troubleshoot windows update, no problems are found.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have tried and tried to put in these same two updates from November and December
The November update that you are having trouble with, may be the big update from 10240 to 10586, in which case that's a pretty big deal.
Can you check your update history and determine the actual Knowledge Base number of the two failed updates.
Perhaps with that information we might be better able to offer some suggestion as to how you might proceed.

Reaction score
The November update that you are having trouble with, may be the big update from 10240 to 10586, in which case that's a pretty big deal.
Can you check your update history and determine the actual Knowledge Base number of the two failed updates.
Perhaps with that information we might be better able to offer some suggestion as to how you might proceed.
it is that and KB3116869

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If it's the 1511 10586 update that you need??
Personally, I'd just grab the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Save it to a local folder on my computer.
Double click it to mount it from within my current version of Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there to perform the in-place upgrade from the local resource.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Me too.
We could tackle it one step at a time if you like.
Basically you just click the link I included and pick Windows 10 at the top of the first drop down and click confirm
Then pick a language from the next drop down menu and click confirm.
Then choose a bit version 32 or 64 bit and when you choose one it will prompt you to open or save, choose "save as" and save it to your desktop.
If you're not sure which one you need, right click the start button and choose "System".
It'll tell you there if you have a 32 or 64 bit operating system installed.
That'll take a while.
When you have it, post back and we'll move to the next steps.

Reaction score
Me too.
We could tackle it one step at a time if you like.
Basically you just click the link I included and pick Windows 10 at the top of the first drop down and click confirm
Then pick a language from the next drop down menu and click confirm.
Then choose a bit version 32 or 64 bit and when you choose one it will prompt you to open or save, choose "save as" and save it to your desktop.
If you're not sure which one you need, right click the start button and choose "System".
It'll tell you there if you have a 32 or 64 bit operating system installed.
That'll take a while.
When you have it, post back and we'll move to the next steps.

Trouble, I think I'm needing to do what you are telling funohboy to do. So, I have followed your first two directions and am now at the "choose a bit version;" yet, the page you have sent us says to "make sure you download both 32 Bit and 64 Bit. That is confusing to me as my computer is a 64 Bit, I don't understand why I would need to download 32 Bit as well. Is it that 64 Bit build(s) on/from the 32 Bit? Did you download only one or the other? I don't want to progress before hearing back from you, as I am not computer savvy at all and do not want to mess my computer or myself up. Thanks for your help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Trouble, I think I'm needing to do what you are telling funohboy to do. So, I have followed your first two directions and am now at the "choose a bit version;" yet, the page you have sent us says to "make sure you download both 32 Bit and 64 Bit. That is confusing to me as my computer is a 64 Bit, I don't understand why I would need to download 32 Bit as well. Is it that 64 Bit build(s) on/from the 32 Bit? Did you download only one or the other? I don't want to progress before hearing back from you, as I am not computer savvy at all and do not want to mess my computer or myself up. Thanks for your help!
Sorry for the confusion.
Just download the bit version that you need.
That site is intended for larger environments where they may have a need for both versions as they might have multiple machines with 32 and or 64 bit capabilities.
I keep both on hand and have made install media for both, as I find myself working on computers that people bring me that can be either or, although......
32 bit machines are becoming fewer and fewer lately.

Reaction score
I d
Sorry for the confusion.
Just download the bit version that you need.
That site is intended for larger environments where they may have a need for both versions as they might have multiple machines with 32 and or 64 bit capabilities.
I keep both on hand and have made install media for both, as I find myself working on computers that people bring me that can be either or, although......
32 bit machines are becoming fewer and fewer lately.

Okay, Trouble, I've followed your suggestions from above and got the same error message. I took a snapshot of it - just learned how to do that today; now, if I can figure out how to get it on here. Gimme a minute to see if I can figure it out. Yea, I did it...lol...I know you're laughing but things like this is quite a feat for me. Now, I don't understand why it says "This PC can't run Windows 10" because it is running Windows 10 at present - it's how I am able to be sending this message - Windows 10 Pro is the only OS on my computer.
Screenshot of why PC could not install Windows 10 Update 1511 10586.PNG

Reaction score
Thanks for that, Trouble, but I don't see how it will be able to help me from just reading the first couple of sentences:

"Caution: these steps are complicated, and carry some risk. This is best done by advanced users with experience using the command line. If you make an error in entering these commands, you could put your device in a no-boot situation, and possibly lose data you have stored on the device."

See what I mean...lol...you young whippersnappers are really sharp when it comes to this kind of stuff, but me...I'm just a grandma that is trying to enjoy being able to surf the web.

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-2_16-44-34.png
    upload_2016-1-2_16-44-34.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 594

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK... I can respect that. Sometimes a person needs to realize his or her limitations and manage their expectations accordingly.
Yes..... we 66 year old whippersnappers (and grandpa 6 times) are relatively sharp when it comes to this kind of stuff. Although I will admit to doing "this kind of stuff" since I was a bit closer to actually being a whippersnapper.
There are alternative work-arounds but they involve third party disk utilities which you may find even more confusing and or difficult to use than the link I posted above.
Perhaps it's best if you stick with your current Operating System and forego the upgrade for the time being.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.
The free upgrade is available until July 29th. Maybe in the interim you might be able to find a local whippersnapper who could lend a hand.
Just be sure to invest a little time and effort in advance to create a disk image so you have a relatively secure fall back position, no matter how you decide to proceed.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
LOL...thank you for giving me a big laugh, Trouble!!! Sorry...by calling you a young whippersnapper, I did not mean any disrespect...lol...really, I was just trying to reflect how savvy deficit I really am (old vs young). So, I guess we are both old codgers, you being a year older than me.

I've noticed a few things about my computer since I've last posted. First, a little bit of my computer history. A couple of weeks ago, the hard drive in my Dell Dimension E521, with Vista-Home OS, died. In telling my neighbor, another old codger about it, she said the place where she works had just gotten new computers and were selling their old towers for only $50. So, not yet knowing what I was going to do with my E521 or even if anything could be done about it, I thought I should consider what she mentioned. My new (old) tower has Windows 10 PRO operating system, is a Dell Omniplex 360, (Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E 7500 @ 2.93 GHz 2.9 GHz, 4.0 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, x64-based processor. According to a decal on top of the tower, it originally had Window 7 Pro - don't know if there were any upgrades in between Windows 7 & Windows 10.

What I've discovered is this tower does not have any other drives on it but C drive. No disk drives & and no D drive, which my E521 had both. Another thing I noticed about trying to install the update we discussed above but was unable to because of the system reserved partition, is that when it downloaded from the link you gave me, onto my computer, it automatically downloaded to D drive, which this computer does not have. I tried everything I could to save it to a local folder and/or my desktop, like you had advised funohboy above, but it wouldn't allow me the option to save it - or, if it did, I missed seeing it. So, could that be the reason why it did not install? I mean, does not having a D drive have anything to do with the reserved partition? Do I need a D drive? If so, how do I go about getting a D drive?

Reaction score
Trouble's quote from Saturday @ 5:08 PM: "The free upgrade is available until July 29th. Maybe in the interim you might be able to find a local whippersnapper who could lend a hand.
Just be sure to invest a little time and effort in advance to create a disk image so you have a relatively secure fall back position, no matter how you decide to proceed.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/"

I know absolutely no local whippersnappers to lend me a hand, unfortunately. Plus, I do not a clue as to what you mean by creating a disk image for a relatively secure fall back position, etc. I admit I have not read the info on the link that you furnished on the peace of mind thread, which might explain what that means. But, if a disk image has anything to do with having a disk drive, I'm SOL. So, Trouble, looks like you're stuck with me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope you don't need a D drive although I'm surprised that your optical drive (CD / DVD) if present, is not labeled D.
You may have missed the saving / save as / option, depending on your browser settings. By default, unless you check a box and tell it to always ask, most browser save to your C:\Users\YourUserName\Downloads folder.

Reaction score
I do not have what you call an optical drive - no cd/dvd drive, which prevents me from using my printer disk to set my printer to this computer. Plain and simple there is only a C drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are multiple options.
First you don't need an optical drive to install your printer driver / software, you can simply download it from the device manufacturer and install it from the downloaded file.
Second, for a few bucks you can purchase an external USB optical drive which I've found works pretty well on most computers.
http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...as=aps&field-keywords=external+usb+dvd+burner
There not generally rocketships in the speed department but perfectly serviceable for most needs.

Ask a Question