I can't get windows 10 to find new devices

Reaction score
I've tried everything and I can't get windows to add a new device, I've followed the manufacturers instruction, changed USB ports, restarted my computer. I put a micro sd card in and it won't recognize that either. I can't be the only one this has happened to, but I searched the forum and found nothing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're probably going to have to go to the computer manufacturer's website or the motherboard manufactuer's website and download the drivers for your hardware devices.
Pay particular attention to BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controllers, USB chipset drivers such as NEC or Renesas, etc.
Hopefully you'll find something for windows 10 specifically, but even if you have to resort to Windows 8 or even 7, it might be worth trying.
IF you could provide some specifics as to the actual computer then perhaps someone with similar hardware might have a more pertinent suggestion.

Reaction score
CarelovetoPC.JPG
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.420)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 1/22/2016 6:58:08 PM
Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB)
Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (Secure Boot not supported)
System Model
Hewlett-Packard 23-g013w
System Serial Number: TM15281871
Asset Tag: 5CM44401L3
Chassis Serial Number: 5CM44401L3
Enclosure Type: All-in-One
Processor a
2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium G3220T
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Main Circuit Board b
Board: Hewlett-Packard 2B0D A01
Serial Number: 5CM44401L3
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: AMI 80.11 06/26/2014
Drives
998.89 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
541.72 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

hp DVDRAM GTB0N [Optical drive]

TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 255ENS5MS, rev MS2OA7C0, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d
3988 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB (serial number 14FFE787)
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 998.89 GB 541.72 GB free

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you manually ran the HP Support Assistant on that machine to see if it makes any recommendations as to updates that might be required?

Reaction score
I had a similar problem 2 weeks back. And posted my problem here. Win 10 could no longer recognise my HP LazerJet printer which is USB/WiFI compatible. Whilst waiting for help on the issue I found the problem that prevented Win 10 recognising my printer that worked fine after the upgrade. I had gone into settings and changed my WiFi settings to "Metered" as I was running low on my data plan.
Check your settings Start menu > Settings >“Network & Internet” > “Wi-Fi,” > “Advanced options” at the bottom of the list of nearby Wi-Fi networks. Check and see if your metered connection is set for ON if so turn it OFF and try again.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/ms-boat-anchor.9349/#post-42999

Last edited:
Reaction score
GPS devices will, in many cases, need a COM port for a serial connection. Do you have the specifics which require certain rate settings or com ports?

The microSD card will be a little different because the Reader is a USB device but needs it own driver. You might check the device manager (right click menu from start button) and see if the reader is listed without warnings.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem 2 weeks back. And posted my problem here. Win 10 could no longer recognise my HP LazerJet printer which is USB/WiFI compatible. Whilst waiting for help on the issue I found the problem that prevented Win 10 recognising my printer that worked fine after the upgrade. I had gone into settings and changed my WiFi settings to "Metered" as I was running low on my data plan.
Check your settings Start menu > Settings >“Network & Internet” > “Wi-Fi,” > “Advanced options” at the bottom of the list of nearby Wi-Fi networks. Check and see if your metered connection is set for ON if so turn it OFF and try again.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/ms-boat-anchor.9349/#post-42999

Ask a Question