Can't open properties with right click menu

Reaction score
It started to happen yesterday, and when I "Right Click -> Properties" in any icon, nothing shows up. I tested with every other right click menu's options and they worked fine. Any help on that? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
when I "Right Click -> Properties" in any icon, nothing shows up
Can you provide some specific detail as to what constitutes "any icon", what the icon or shortcut might apply to and where the icon is located (desktop, start menu, file explorer, etc.)? Is it an application icon, a application shortcut icon, a file, a folder??

Reaction score
Sorry, I indeed provided few details.

Any "icon" won't open the properties with the right click menu, be it a file, a folder or a shortcut. And the location don't matter, I also tried with lots of different folders and it didn't work too.

It's happening in my system in general.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried running the native System File Checker to see if it finds any issues?
Right click the Start Button (if that is functioning) and choose Command prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt windows type
sfc /scannow
hit enter
and let it run
see what it produces in the way of information.

Reaction score
Sorry for the late answer, the log file was quite big to upload here, so I uploaded on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FB_6HsosWoTVI0UnBoQXNTQkE/view

I don't know how to properly read this file, but the scannow result in the Windows Powershell screen was that some files were corrupted and only a part of those files could be fixed. I still cannot open any "Properties" window.

Thanks.

EDIT: The file should be public right now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the same problem and performed the sfc/scannow. The scan indicates that there are corrupt files that the program could not fix. Well, that doesn't help in the least. How do I repair the corrupt files that won't allow me to use the right click for properties? The problem is primarily when I attempt to open the disc drive properties... such as C drive. The info box flashes on and then off.

Reaction score
I also recently have the same issue, if I select any icon or any file in any folder anywhere with right click, then everything on the list works fine EXCEPT if I click on properties then absolutely nothing happens. It only works on "My Computer", absolutely nothing else. I've tried a cold-reboot, I've also ran sfc/scannow, and as with Henrique Orlandini it says there are a couple of files it cannot fix because the "source file in store is also corrupted".

Henrique I noticed this in your report:

" C:\WINDOWS\System32"\[l:22{11}]"wlidsvc.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted"

^^ I have this system 32 one as well, and several other files. Several hours of google later and I'm drawing a blank :-(. I have downloaded NO new programs recently aside from a windows 10 automatic update.

Edit: I have also tried: "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" as administrator in the command prompt with no luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is How to Edit Right Click Context Menu in Windows 10

First of all open RUN by searching it in search box of windows 10 taskbar.

Now, write regedit in run command box.

Now, in the registry editor just browse the following path from the right side

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\

Now, once you expand ContextMenuHandlers , there will be many options present there. Now, the name of the items present in the right click context menu and the name of the keys will not exactly be the same. You have to identify them.

For example, we can easily say that Anotepad++64 is related to edit with notepad++ .

Now, select the required key and then double click on Default. Now, in the value data , just put a minus sign – in front of the value. This will make it inactive.

Source:- http://merabheja.com/edit-right-click-context-menu-in-windows-10/

Reaction score
I have found that I also have this issue, I tried a few of the things listed one being using the command P , but when I typed in the sfc scan I got a message saying that I must be an administrator running a console session i order to use the sfc utility .. I checked and I am still showing as the admin of my computer so not sure what is going on..

I am able to click the right mouse button and do all the different functions but when I click properties nothing happens at all on anything I try being it an app, a program, something within windows, devise manager,,, ect.... everything. please help :)

Reaction score
You have to run the command prompt as administrator. Type Command Prompt in the search, then right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator". You should be able to run the sfc scan then.
Clipboard01.jpg

Reaction score
You have to run the command prompt as administrator. Type Command Prompt in the search, then right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator". You should be able to run the sfc scan then.View attachment 11259
That helped , thank you ..

so Now I run the sfc scan but I get a diff error,, it says "Windows Resource Protection could not start with the repair service. " ??? computers don't like me lol . I guess its because I don't understand them

edit,, I also tried the post about using SC COnfig trustedinstaller ect.. it loaded and gave me a started successfully,, but it still gives same error when trying the scan.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is How to Edit Right Click Context Menu in Windows 10

First of all open RUN by searching it in search box of windows 10 taskbar.

Now, write regedit in run command box.

Now, in the registry editor just browse the following path from the right side

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\

Now, once you expand ContextMenuHandlers , there will be many options present there. Now, the name of the items present in the right click context menu and the name of the keys will not exactly be the same. You have to identify them.

For example, we can easily say that Anotepad++64 is related to edit with notepad++ .

Now, select the required key and then double click on Default. Now, in the value data , just put a minus sign – in front of the value. This will make it inactive.

Source:- http://merabheja.com/edit-right-click-context-menu-in-windows-10/

Hello, I followed you to the right click context menu. But the right click I need to work on win 10 is properties for any drive. I dont see that key there..... I wish windows had kept the reg fix exe for win 10. Scanow and SFC and DISM dont do the job, and I am always left with the message that there are corrupted files that cannot be fixed, but no clue what to do.....

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue and my system has no integrity violations.

hopefully this information is useful. please help me.

"Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1110]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>"

-EDIT- Never mind I ran the registry cleaner in Piriform's "Ccleaner" the problem went away

Last edited:

Ask a Question