Can't upgrade.

Reaction score
Have windows 7.
Went thru the sign up process in June. Also ran the update confit/checker -all green with no compatibility issues.
Last week noticed that my PC not updating. I don't recall the error code in windows update history.
So brought the PC to my nearest Microsoft store. I did leave them the error code.

Well today I got a call from them saying they could not upgrade and to call ibuypower where I bought the PC. Of course it's way out of warranty, so not sure what they (IBP) will tell me - other than a full reinstall is my only option.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

I have the ISO download from the M/S website. Will that allow a full/new reinstall of 10? And guessing i should write down my win 7 product key first.

Thx.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well today I got a call from them saying they could not upgrade
IDK, I think maybe I would take that as an omen and enjoy my Windows 7 computer.
You can always force the upgrade by mounting the ISO or creating installation media from it and running setup.exe on that from within Windows 7.

Personally, I'd sleep on that decision.
AND
Backup all my critical data as well as make a full Disk Image and test its' viability https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
I called the store. The response I was given is that certain drivers are not compatible with Win 10. When I asked for the specific driver names - she told me their tools don't identify which drivers. That does not make sense.

Plus - would not have the Windows compatibility checker tool reported a problem?

Wonder how many other PC owners can't upgrade. She also told me I won't be able to clean install.

This sounds like a fail (of Microsoft) to me.

Ask a Question