changed back to win 7 from 10 and now office doesn't work

Reaction score
I can't use word as message comes up saying my office is unregistered since I changed back from 10 to 7 due to too many problems with internet and printers. Is there any way to fix my office so it knows it's registered? If I can't find my registration number any more will Microsoft have a record of it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Melanie,

Have you checked when you rolled back to Windows 7 that your OS was activated?

In some cases users Windows is not activated after rolling back to Windows 7. Microsoft provided a fixit tool for this scenario. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2230957

If your Windows 7 is not activated that may also lead to your Office issue so worth checking.

You can telephone Microsoft and they have an automated system for re-activating Office products too. It's a simple procedure. I've done it at least 5 times with my Office 2003 :)

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
"It's a simple procedure. I've done it at least 5 times with my Office 2003 :)"

Makes me want to ditch my free word processors and buy Office.

Reaction score
Hi Melanie,

Have you checked when you rolled back to Windows 7 that your OS was activated?

In some cases users Windows is not activated after rolling back to Windows 7. Microsoft provided a fixit tool for this scenario. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2230957

If your Windows 7 is not activated that may also lead to your Office issue so worth checking.

You can telephone Microsoft and they have an automated system for re-activating Office products too. It's a simple procedure. I've done it at least 5 times with my Office 2003 :)

Regards,

Regedit32
thanks for the advice I tried the fixit and it made no difference to office. But good to know Microsoft will reactivate office. do you have a phone number? And is there a chance anything will be lost when it is reactivated?

Reaction score
"It's a simple procedure. I've done it at least 5 times with my Office 2003 :)"

Makes me want to ditch my free word processors and buy Office.
You should be replacing your Office 2003 anyway - it's no longer supported.

Reaction score
A good thought, but it doesn't deal with the OP's problem, unfortunately. FWIW. I have some quite old software (Not back to 2003) on my computer(s). They do what I need and, at this point, I would see no improvement in my operations in updating them.

However, I did think that Microsoft had stopped supporting Office 2003 some time ago. Googling produced several results like this:

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-069A-0

But Regedit's post has turned this around.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm in New Zealand and have had no troubles dialing the number on the card that came with my Office disks. A computer voice gets you to enter your particulars, then after a few minutes it voices out the activation code to enter for my Office software. Each of the 5 times has been a different code, but its always worked.

In terms of not supporting the product. I do not get specific security updates for it any longer, but it does what I need it to do and I have no need of any further bells or whistles.

It's running beautifully on my Windows 10 too. No issues at all.

Reaction score
A good thought, but it doesn't deal with the OP's problem, unfortunately. FWIW. I have some quite old software (Not back to 2003) on my computer(s). They do what I need and, at this point, I would see no improvement in my operations in updating them.

However, I did think that Microsoft had stopped supporting Office 2003 some time ago. Googling produced several results like this:

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-069A-0

But Regedit's post has turned this around.
Yeah, last post on this, but Office 2003 support ended around the same time as XP's.

Ask a Question