Chrome has been vanquished

Reaction score
"Google Chrome users may have two main issues with the Software Reporter Tool: It may cause a high system load when it scans the system. User reports range from it using 30% and more CPU while running. "
No kidding?? Chrome is dead on my system. I have tried every possible method to shut this thing down. It keeps coming back. Regedit, permissions, rename, whatever. The other night I saw 100% CPU usage....AGAIN. "I'm baaaack"! No you are not!! I watched while this.....Thing.....ran a quad core at 100% for 15 minutes, at which point I did a search and destroy. Chrome is dead! I am going to try Edge. Firefox hangs too much, slow loading. Edge appears to be working pretty good.
Wow I feel better after my little rant. Thanks for listening.:cool:

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your issues are with Chrome and Firefox. I do have an idea it has nothing to do with the browsers themselves. While I will never use Chrome, I know several others that have no problems. I personally have Firefox and no it does not hang. Good luck with Edge though especially now that it is going to a chromium engine.

Reaction score
Do a search for Software Reporter Tool. Seems to be an ongoing problem. Firefox is OK but seems to take longer to load pages. I am on the Windows Insider and Edge has improved. They may use the Google Chromium rendering for their newest browser but hopefully it won't include Chromes reporter tool.

Reaction score
Never had an issue with it. I run chrome on dozens of PC's and never had an issue with it using system resources (unlike windows update service running in the background using 100% cpu for no reason).

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Do a search for Software Reporter Tool
Where and how is this run in the browser? I've been a long time user of Chrome and never ever ran into this. I'm pretty sure your browser is corrupted/hijacked along with some extensions.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Following this site (G-hack) and following the attachment, showing the path for it....It's no listed on my PC, anywhere.

Reaction score
Following this site (G-hack) and following the attachment, showing the path for it....It's no listed on my PC, anywhere.
Already been done. After a couple of weeks it returns. The thing I hate is t will max out the CPU's and you can actually sit there and watch the temp rise 20 degrees.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I think you have a much greater underlying issue such as; Trojan, Worm, Virus or any number of malware/spyware on your system. You could spend the time and effort of installing all kinds of removal software to try and find/fix the issue.

Personally, I would do a clean install.

Reaction score
I run ESET. I have for years. Also my security is set to the highest level. Regular scans and backups. It's a known issue, not just me experiencing it.

Reaction score
It may be a known issue, but something has to be initiating it. It COULD be malware/pup, two things that ESET and other AV clients don't normally do a great job of detecting. It could also be a legit (or illegitimate) plugin/addon/extension that's initiating it. You HAVE to look at every angle, not just be convinced that others having the same issue makes it a "known issue". I would look at every possibility just in case something slipped by your AV program. Just my advice, take it however you must. But I've seen it all.

Reaction score
It may be a known issue, but something has to be initiating it. It COULD be malware/pup, two things that ESET and other AV clients don't normally do a great job of detecting. It could also be a legit (or illegitimate) plugin/addon/extension that's initiating it. You HAVE to look at every angle, not just be convinced that others having the same issue makes it a "known issue". I would look at every possibility just in case something slipped by your AV program. Just my advice, take it however you must. But I've seen it all.
That word "initiating" started me thinking about Win 10 updates. This last occurrence of Chrome going nuts happened right after the latest Win 10 upgrade. I had taken steps to block it. I do backups weekly and am on the Windows Insider Program so I get updates fairly often. Maybe the updates allow Chrome to re-install their Software Reporter tool. It's worth an experiment. I'll put Chrome back but disable the tool. I'll keep a log and see when that dog reappears.

Reaction score
I've also been thinking about this. The tool is meant to look for addons that are interfering with chrome. That kind of leads me to believe you have an extension or addon that's misbehaving, causing the software reporter tool to constantly run. I see a lot of people do have issues with it, and that may be why. I'd recommend a different browser. I have chrome on many of my PC's, but even though I've never experienced this or other issues with it, I'd don't use it on my daily driver PC's. I use opera.

Reaction score
I'd recommend a different browser. I have chrome on many of my PC's, but even though I've never experienced this or other issues with it, I'd don't use it on my daily driver PC's. I use opera.
Never used Opera before but I just spent a few minutes reading about it. It's got a great rating so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll report back on my Chrome findings.

Reaction score
I like it. It has speed dial built in, plus a vpn. It is based on the chrome engine though.

Reaction score
I like it. It has speed dial built in, plus a vpn. It is based on the chrome engine though.
Wow, where have I been? I think it's great as well. It has some really nice features, good control and is responsive. Thank you again! Good advice.

Ask a Question