Computer automatically turning on after I shut down or force to sleep

Reaction score
I have tried almost everything to stop my pc from doing this, but it just will not stay turned off after i shut it down. When i run the command prompt to see what is able to cause my pc to turn on, there is nothing found. I have disabled fast startup, disabled allow wake timers and prevented my keyboard and mouse from powering on my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? My pc hasn’t been turned off for more than 3 seconds in about 3 days.

Reaction score
Just to confirm. By "turned off" you do mean with the power button. - Power still connected.?

Reaction score
Windows is configured by default to automatically restart when a 'system failure' occurs. If a 'system failure' occurs during the shutdown process then Windows will automatically restart - that's what you're seeing.

You could turn off the auto restart function, but that just masks the problem, it doesn't solve it.

Something is not closing properly when Windows sends the shutdown signal and it's almost certainly a third party product. Before you shutdown, open Task Manager, click the Process tab (it's usually the default) and manually end every non-essential (third-party) process. Things like Corsair iCue, Dropbox, printer tools, and all other third-party stuff that's running and which you don't need (at shutdown time). Then shutdown and if WIndows doesn't automatically restart then you'll know that it's one of those third party processes that was failing at shutdown. Then it becomes a process of elimination.

Reaction score
Good one, Ubuya! Old but still valid!!:D

Shame MS have made it quite a journey to get into the system properties section. It was so straightforward through the old Control panel. If the poster is interested Settings- System-_About-_Advanced system settings- Startup and recovery.

Last edited:

Ask a Question