Moving License to new computer

Reaction score
So, after several years with my laptop top, I have decided to change it. As I had a retail license, I created a USB and installed Windows in the new one. After linking it with my account and adding the key code, the windows is running well in the new computer. The question now is how to format the old laptop and remove the license there? Does anyone know? I would like to be sure that if I sell the lap top my license is not linked.
Any help is more than welcomed

Thanks

Reaction score
Since you're now using the retail license on your new computer the old laptop no longer has a valid license to run Windows, so you cannot sell it on with Windows installed. I would suggest you install a Linux distro on there, you can erase all the Windows partitions as you do that.

Reaction score
Maybe?
As I read it, the old computer may still have the original and unused OEM license? The op has purchased a retail license since?

Reaction score
Maybe?
As I read it, the old computer may still have the original and unused OEM license? The op has purchased a retail license since?
Well...he said that he had a retail license, I took that to mean that's what was on the old laptop?

Reaction score
Many Retail License have many activations.... and if you bought the LapTop with then the License is in the BIOS. for what ever version you bought....
FORMAT the HHD and be done with it.
Last count my Enterprise License still has just over 1000 more Activations....

Last edited:
Reaction score
So, after several years with my laptop top, I have decided to change it. As I had a retail license, I created a USB and installed Windows in the new one. After linking it with my account and adding the key code, the windows is running well in the new computer. The question now is how to format the old laptop and remove the license there? Does anyone know? I would like to be sure that if I sell the lap top my license is not linked.
Any help is more than welcomed

Thanks
Very easy. Download Ventoy and Gparted on the new laptop. Install Ventoy on a USB drive and just copy the Gparted ISO to its root. Boot the old laptop with this USB flash drive and select Gparted from the boot menu. Just format each and every partition / logical drive you see. BTW, Ventoy is the easiest way to create/modify a multiboot /multi version OS installation boot device. Nothing complicated like other utilities available at pendrivelinux.

Reaction score
Any help is more it to a new device
If you called microsoft to move your license they delete it from the old one. I had to call them and they walked me through it because I logged in with a MS account and not a local log in, they moved it and it was gone from the old one.

Ask a Question