Computer Lockups?

Reaction score
I getting some random lockup with this machine and I have no clue what is causing it to happen. Example, just now I opened my Big Fish Game Manager and clicked an icon to uninstall a game. Instant lock up requiring a poke of the reset button to restart Win10. Yesterday I was typing a reply to a post somewhere and I moved the cursor to another spot to correct an error. Instant lockup requiring a reset. Ctrl/Alt/Del doesn't work and cursor is frozen in place. Anyone else experiencing an occasional freeze?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting.
Is this the one that you just performed a custom, clean install on?
Or another one all together?

Reaction score
It was a clean install on a new SSD and the only OS running on the machine, but of course the latest build was installed over the initial install. I was getting an occasional lockup with the initial build also. Pretty sure it's not a heat or hardware related issue since the machine is not stressed at all and I have played a couple of different hidden object games with no problems. It doesn't happen often enough to even consider it a problem and it hasn't interrupted or damaged anything important. It's just an occasional annoyance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Truth be told, I've had similar issues with various hangs with random programs at seemingly random times.
One thing I did notice was, if I would hit Ctr+Alt+Del and launch task manager the computer would seem to resume.
I can only guess that there are some background processes (some of which are apparently invisible) that are responsible and are grabbing resources and failing to release them properly.

dob

Reaction score
I getting some random lockup with this machine and I have no clue what is causing it to happen. Example, just now I opened my Big Fish Game Manager and clicked an icon to uninstall a game. Instant lock up requiring a poke of the reset button to restart Win10. Yesterday I was typing a reply to a post somewhere and I moved the cursor to another spot to correct an error. Instant lockup requiring a reset. Ctrl/Alt/Del doesn't work and cursor is frozen in place. Anyone else experiencing an occasional freeze?

i'm getting the same thing on the latest release of win 10. i had shutdown issues which are now non-existent, but now random lockups regardless of which programs i'm using. usually once a session. have to do a hard shutdown and restart. this is on my laptop which i use mostly for email and reading and testing os's. i had done a clean install of the version prior to the th1 release as an update bricked the laptop. not letting 10 near my desktop until all the bugs are worked out. have reinstalled all programs to keep it clean and up to date, but the problem persists. any one have a suggestion?

Reaction score
Lenovo ideapad p500 touch, basic Windows 10 Pro install with MS Office and Defender.
Been using the upgrade for about a week.
Experiencing random system hangs using various programs, in excess of ten per eight hour day.
Restarts require hard reset.
Microsoft Edge will not work at all.
Debating using the go back to Windows 8.1...
Frustrated, and confused.....

Reaction score
I am getting these also. This is my take. No Ctl Alt Del does not work, mouse, keyboard does not work, but ....but if you unplug the mouse (USB) or any other USB device it makes the sound associated with it. It is still locked up, but it does make a sound. This makes me think that it is not totally locked up but with no ctl alt del what to do?

dob

Reaction score
Well, at least I'm not the only one!!! My lockups were on my laptop with a fresh win 8.1 install and then the update. I've just done a clean install having downloaded windows 10 home onto a usb stick. formatted the ssd prior to the install and today when installing programs and doing a little reading, 3 lockups in an hour, which is a record so far. usually it's one or two. if this keeps up i may just pull out an old win7 oem and install it on the laptop. this is worse than the previews i had run the last year. i had shutdown issues with the preview but no lockups until the rtm release. no shutdown issues, but the lockups started. thought the full release would solve this, but no. this probably shouldn't have been released until at least december. thanks ms!!! had to install my firewall 3 times before it showed up. i've used system explorer to see what could be causing this as far as odd programs running in the background, but have come up empty. oh yeah, updates are a total mystery. some install, some don't, sometimes it says it couldn't install an update, but tells me the computer is up to date. go figure. not going on my desktop until next spring! have fun folks!

Reaction score
Yes indeed, these make me long for the days of XP. Was just typing in a forum like I'm doing right now and BAM! lockdown. The only thing working is the reset button on top of the computer case.

Reaction score
Well, at least I'm not the only one!!! My lockups were on my laptop with a fresh win 8.1 install and then the update. I've just done a clean install having downloaded windows 10 home onto a usb stick. formatted the ssd prior to the install and today when installing programs and doing a little reading, 3 lockups in an hour, which is a record so far. usually it's one or two. if this keeps up i may just pull out an old win7 oem and install it on the laptop. this is worse than the previews i had run the last year. i had shutdown issues with the preview but no lockups until the rtm release. no shutdown issues, but the lockups started. thought the full release would solve this, but no. this probably shouldn't have been released until at least december. thanks ms!!! had to install my firewall 3 times before it showed up. i've used system explorer to see what could be causing this as far as odd programs running in the background, but have come up empty. oh yeah, updates are a total mystery. some install, some don't, sometimes it says it couldn't install an update, but tells me the computer is up to date. go figure. not going on my desktop until next spring! have fun folks!
I am having that update problem with Windows 7 which I installed on an ssd over another copy of Windows 7. This on a new motherboard. I just installed Windows updates but it took six attempts to get them all. I also get occasional failures and "Restart Windows Normally" daily but downloads are generally not a problem. Just Windows downloads. Windows 10 will not download for example (fails to boot).

Last edited:

dob

Reaction score

posted this problem maybe two months ago. thought it may come down to a certain program, but that now does not seem to be the case. heard about uninstalling problematic updates, but it seems those never installed anyway: "failed to update windows, rolling back the system". so finally i uninstalled the last good update and for the last two weeks i haven't had the random freeze problem. still can't get edge (stupid name) to work, but wouldn't use it anyway. this is on my laptop which i only use about 2 hours a day. haven't upgraded the desktop yet. bonus: it seems the more recent updates are installing just fine. hope this is useful!

Ask a Question