Computer refuses to boot up

Reaction score
HELP
Have just bought a new computer (Acer E1 572 with I7-4500U processor, running Windows 8.1). Tried to download Windows 10 and at the end of the process the computer shut down and now refuses to restart. When I press the start button the small blue light on the front of the computer flashes 5 times - and that's it. I am not very technically savvy (understatement) and if I had made even a quick glance at this forum and realised that there were so many problems with Windows 10 I would have stayed with Windows 8.1, at least untiI most of the initial bugs were taken care of. What can I do to get my shiny new computer back and running on Windows 8.1?

Thanks in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first thing you might try is.....
Turn it off (hold the power button and count to 10)
Unplug it from AC Power
Flip it over and remove the battery
Flip it back over and press and hold the power button again for a count of 30
Replace the battery
Reconnect the AC Power
Press the power button.
What happens?
Do you see anything on the screen at all?

Reaction score
You might check the OEM and see if 5 flashes mean anything for your system. Maybe it is something like a beep code.

The Windows 10 install takes around 45 minutes after the download is complete. It may be longer if you have a lot of data. Hopefully, there was plenty of empty space on your Drive to hold the archived files and install image.

Reaction score
Thank you both for taking the time to answer my plea for help. I'm afraid that I am going to have to come clean clean and admit what caused the problem. I bought my new computer online from France because I needed to have a French AZERTY keyboard. I plugged it in using a France to UK adapter and, after the initial setup, proceeded to download Windows 10. As I was aware that the download could take some I did other things at the same time and did not not give the downlood my full attention. To make a long story short, after a lot of testing, plus some trial and error, I found that the France to UK adapter that I was using was faulty and, consequently, the attempted download completely drained the battery. After changing adapters I was able to completely re-charge the battery and now everything seems to be OK. Hopefully my experience may help other forum members. Thanks again.

Reaction score
I downloaded win10 {took23.5hours to download} then 2 hours to install ! worked perfect for 1 hour , now when I turn it on I get a stupid picture of a shoreline .then when I click on the sym. in the lower right I get sign in space , when I enter my password I get the same stupid scene!!! can you help?

Reaction score
The first thing you might try is.....
Turn it off (hold the power button and count to 10)
Unplug it from AC Power
Flip it over and remove the battery
Flip it back over and press and hold the power button again for a count of 30
Replace the battery
Reconnect the AC Power
Press the power button.
What happens?
Do you see anything on the screen at all?

Reaction score
Did all of the above and still locked out...
Will not let me log in even though recognizes password.....will go back to 8.1 if ever get in. Only have 30 days to return so hope I can get it fixed soon.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hold the shift key while clicking restart, then use the advanced troubleshooting options to go back

Ask a Question