Computer Says Speakers Not Plugged In - Windows10

Reaction score
Everything was working fine for 2 years, but suddenly my speakers stopped working. They have power and I updated the Realtek Driver, but still no luck. How can I check if I've muted them somehow? Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi,

Did this happen after upgrading to Win 10? You may need the correct Realtek driver. What was your previous operating system? Reinstalling the previous driver sometimes corrects this problem if you were using Win 8.1.

Posting your PC's specs, manufacturer, product number, and the type of device would help to troubleshoot your problem.

What's happening in the "Sound" applet in "Control Panel"? Is the default audio playback device Realtek? What's happening in Device Manager within Audio devices? Try removing the current Realtek audio driver, reboot and see if Win 10 gives you the correct driver.

You can possibly get the correct audio driver from Realtek.

If you have no errors per above then try the front headphone jack.

You could have an audio out problem with the rear audio jack.

Jaco

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have this problem at some time over the last couple of weeks.
It suddenly stopped producing sound, no updates other than those forced by miscrosoft.
I use HDMI through the display, the display itself works fine.
The device manager says that the 'high definition audio device' is working properly and that the driver (microsoft) is up to date.
The trouble shooter only says that speakers are not plugged in.

Reaction score
Hi,

Is HDMI selected as the default audio playback device in Control Panel, Sound?

I have no idea who the manufacturer of your PC is and what your model number is.

I have an HP PC, circa 2013, with Beats (IDT) audio that was originally shipped by HP with Win 8.1 installed as the factory operating system. Upgraded to Win 10 and had audio problems with the Win 10 audio driver provided by Microsoft. There were no errors but audio was not running correctly.

Removed Microsoft's version of IDT software and installed the HP version for Win 8.1 on the new Win 10 installation and it fixed the problem.

I realize you have Realtek audio. If Realtek is not providing a Win 10 audio driver for your audio chipset then the Win 8.1 version provided by the OEM may work if you were running Win 8.1 prior to the upgrade to Win 10. Otherwise, have you checked Realtek for updated Win 10 audio drivers for your specific Realtek audio chipset?

Jaco

Last edited:
Reaction score
The problem is intermittent, usually it is OK but sometimes has a little red 'x' beside the speaker symbol.

The computer itself is a Novatech in an ATX case and a H170M PRO-VDH motherboard with builtin HDMI port, I don't know offhand what the chipset that uses.

Reaction score
Try Right click on the speaker icon in the notification area.
Select Playback devices.
A Sound Box pops up and shows all playback devices.
Make sure that your speakers are selected.
Click the Set Default button, then OK.
My Firefox crashed and I had no sound.
Somehow the default had been set to a Samsung TV that I sometimes have connected via an HDMI cable.
The above solution worked for me.
Good luck.

Ask a Question