Computer turns on but monitor is black

Reaction score
Hello. I am not experienced when it comes to computers so i am coming here as a complete novice. I was on my computer earlier when all of the sudden my screen turned black. I waited a second but still nothing. I restarted my computer and while the computer itself turned on the monitor stayed black, showing no signs of life. Of course i immediately checked to see if the monitor was plugged in, and it was, so i am not quite sure what is causing this issue. I just bought some computer duster so im going to open it up and dust it out but i dont think its a hardware issue. I think windows might be to blame.
Ok so as i was writing this windows screen popped up saying windows 10 couldnt boot up so i elected to reset pc. Please someone help me :(

Reaction score
Hi,

Please provide your PC manufacture and product number.

Please provide the factory installed operating system.

Jaco

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My pc is a custom made pc and the original OS was windows 7
OK, so.....
Maybe you could list your
Motherboard Manufacturer, Motherboard Model Number, Motherboard Revision Number, Motherboard BIOS version you are currently running.
any
Add-on cards, Video, Audio, Network, etc.,
any
Installed / attached peripheral devices, USB dongles, printers, external drives, etc.

Reaction score
Yea I am at work but once I get home I can do that. I know have a R9 200 series graphics card and an asus motherboard. I have an AMD processor I just don't know the specific model. Will update at 5:00pm

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the mean time you might want to obtain the latest Windows 10 ISO
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
To create installation media to boot and or repair your PC.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options, from there you might try
System Restore, Startup Settings to see if you can boot the system in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking, Go Back to a previous build (if that is available).
Unfortunately if you've already performed a reset then those options might be worthless.

Reaction score
I agree trying safe mode is a good option. You may have a video driver situation and it needs to be reinstalled.

Also, do you have another monitor or another video output you could try. Also make sure the monitor is set to the correct input.

You could test to see if the system is running without the display or something else is happening. Try shutting it down with this key combination.

Winkey+X UpArrow UpArrow RightArrow u

A restart would use an R

Of course you would need to sign if first, or at least try.

Last edited:

Ask a Question