SOLVED Computer turns on by itself

Reaction score
I'm back with the same problem. It is now so bad that in the last week I used sleep mode and it turned on 6 times and I used shut down mode and it turned on 7 times. In both cases it only stays off about one hour. The only way I can keep the computer off till I need it is if I hold down the power button to shut it down.
I tried four things to fix it and when they failed I undid the fix. 1: Disable fast startup 2: Disable Allow Wake Timers option. 3: Disable Automatic Restart. 4: Disable Automatic Maintenance.
I have the Asus Maximus XI Extreme motherboard and the Asus RTX 2080 Ti card. Could something on there cause the problem or in the BIOS.
I also worked with a Windows tech and I will open the case again.
Denny

Reaction score
If you haven't tried it yet then in Device Manager uncheck every option under power management of "Allow this device to start computer" most of them are in the USB hub but there are a few more in the other directories. You should only leave one checked this being the one you normally use to start your PC the keyboard one in my case. You can also uncheck the one which says "Allow this device to shut computer down in order to save power" or similar wording. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi Danny G,
The next time that this happens, open a command prompt and type: powercfg /lastwake
Doing so should shed some light on what caused the machine to come to life.
-Kevin N.

Reaction score
I haven't had this problem, but FWIW, unless this is a notebook, you can cut the power to the computer when not using it. I use a foot switch to cut power to my computer after shutting it down.

Reaction score
I'm back with the same problem. It is now so bad that in the last week I used sleep mode and it turned on 6 times and I used shut down mode and it turned on 7 times. In both cases it only stays off about one hour. The only way I can keep the computer off till I need it is if I hold down the power button to shut it down.
I tried four things to fix it and when they failed I undid the fix. 1: Disable fast startup 2: Disable Allow Wake Timers option. 3: Disable Automatic Restart. 4: Disable Automatic Maintenance.
I have the Asus Maximus XI Extreme motherboard and the Asus RTX 2080 Ti card. Could something on there cause the problem or in the BIOS.
I also worked with a Windows tech and I will open the case again.
Denny
I think the problem is fixed. Besides what I did before, I did the following:
Disable Fast Startup. Disable Allow Wake Timers. Disable Automatic Restart. Disable Automatic Maintenance. And The last I did not do before. Disable Scheduled Updates.
Plus: Instead of Right clicking Start and left clicking Shutdown I now LEFT Click Start, left click Power (near the bottom of the list) and left click Shutdown. So far, the computer is staying off till needed. Over time, I will undue each of those five items untill the problem comes back.
Till then, THIS PROBLEM IS FIXED. AHHHHHH, WONDERFUL.

Reaction score

Hi Danny G,
The next time that this happens, open a command prompt and type: powercfg /lastwake
Doing so should shed some light on what caused the machine to come to life.
-Kevin N.
The Microsoft tech had me do the following:
Powercfg /lastwake
powercfg /sleepstudy
powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics
powercfg /systempowerreport
I have not heard back from the tech and I think I fixed the problem. See above. Thank you

Reaction score
I think the problem is fixed. Besides what I did before, I did the following:
Disable Fast Startup. Disable Allow Wake Timers. Disable Automatic Restart. Disable Automatic Maintenance. And The last I did not do before. Disable Scheduled Updates.
Plus: Instead of Right clicking Start and left clicking Shutdown I now LEFT Click Start, left click Power (near the bottom of the list) and left click Shutdown. So far, the computer is staying off till needed. Over time, I will undue each of those five items untill the problem comes back.
Till then, THIS PROBLEM IS FIXED. AHHHHHH, WONDERFUL.

I had a similar problem with my pc. The problem, I found, was that Windows had an update which required a restart. After updating the problem seemed to vanish. Not sure what's going on behind the scenes.

Ask a Question