Controlled folder access (CFA) ; can anyone make any use of it or do most just turn it off?

Reaction score
I have a list of .exe files listed under Virus.../Allow Apps. through CFA; does anyone know:
1. What is this a list of?
2. If they are blocked does clicking on the "+Add an allowed app. through....." button have any effect. It doesn't lead to any actionable area on mine yet various help areas suggest that it should be obvious what options are available.
I've spent time on this in the past and the only meaningful guidance seemed to be to re-set Windows 10; everything else seems to work alright some I'm loathe to try and work out how to do this and whatever collateral effects may ensue.
3. On the listed .exe files if the arrow button is selected only one option "remove" appears; this works but what is removed from what?
4. Turning off CFA has no effect on the list; is it non retrospective?

Reaction score
Hi dech,

it is there for security reasons, Windows Defender might see a .exe file as a threat when you try and run it, you can allow any app you know is safe to install, likewise, you can block a suspect app from running its installer!.

If you turn it off, and you have a suspect file on your PC, it could well compromise your PC!..

Removing any file from the list just allows or disallows a particular file that you may have including anything it finds as suspicious!. :)

Reaction score
Thank you for your interest. Am attempting response with coloured text next to your responses. "it is there for security reasons", Am aware but the list mentioned has nothing indicating whether they are blocked or just randomly pasted. "Windows Defender might see a .exe file as a threat when you try and run it," I haven't tried to run anything; presumably they are updates to apps. but I don't know which apps. or whether they need access to Controlled folders (CF's) nor whether they are blocked because they attempted access to CF's. nor whether they are effecting the efficiency of the apps. you can allow any app you know is safe to install, likewise, you can block a suspect app from running its installer!. As stated in the initial post - Removal is the only option which has any effect; there is nothing that indicates a possibility of allowing. The "+Add an allowed app. through....." button just opens up what looks like an unfamiliar part of the C drive but only with a few of the blocked files and nothing actionable. Turning off CFA and re-starting also has no effect on the list. So maybe it's a fault in Windows 10; maybe other users get some meaningful response when using that button; have you ever used it?

Removing any file from the list just allows or disallows a particular file that you may have including anything it finds as suspicious!. I can't make any sense of this other than that you are suggesting that it is not merely a list - are you stating that you don't know whether removal allows or disallows or alternates?
regards
Dech.

Reaction score
Thanks but the link was of no use; just the usual generalizations and how to turn it on/off. So I have no answers to any of the four initial questions.

Reaction score
Hi dech,

it is there for security reasons, Windows Defender might see a .exe file as a threat when you try and run it, you can allow any app you know is safe to install, likewise, you can block a suspect app from running its installer!.

If you turn it off, and you have a suspect file on your PC, it could well compromise your PC!..

Removing any file from the list just allows or disallows a particular file that you may have including anything it finds as suspicious!. :)
I've given up largely but just in case you have actually done so have you or anyone you know ever allowed anything through; I can see no way to do so; including turning it off; the list under Ransomware etc. remains unchanged; they can be deleted; is this allowing?

Reaction score
All I can recommend is you check what settings you have in windows Defender, if you can paste a screenshot, it may help somewhat?.

1591256101783.png

1591256169185.png

1591256200178.png

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I have a list of .exe files listed under Virus.../Allow Apps. through CFA; does anyone know:
1. What is this a list of?
2. If they are blocked does clicking on the "+Add an allowed app. through....." button have any effect. It doesn't lead to any actionable area on mine yet various help areas suggest that it should be obvious what options are available.
I've spent time on this in the past and the only meaningful guidance seemed to be to re-set Windows 10; everything else seems to work alright some I'm loathe to try and work out how to do this and whatever collateral effects may ensue.
3. On the listed .exe files if the arrow button is selected only one option "remove" appears; this works but what is removed from what?
4. Turning off CFA has no effect on the list; is it non retrospective?

Personally, I think it's a bug and needs fixing. I had something very similar when using a SD card. Wife picked up a digital camera at a yard sale and it sill had the SD card in it. So I put it in my card reader and had a look. With in seconds, windows AV flagged it and logged 2 files in that same area you said it showed. So I scanned the SD card and it came back clean....what a shock. I could't do a damn thing with those files......add/move/block/delete. Even after I removed the card and rebooted and it was still there.

My only remedy was to clean install.....because I sure didn't want to take a chance on it biting me in the arse later.

Ask a Question