Uncontrolled Volume Control

Reaction score
Since last update volume control is uncontrollable. Moves up and down without warning. Have 3 computers and it does this on all three. All have Realtek audio chips. Updated all drivers for audio, uninstalled and reinstalled programs and drivers but the volume moves up and down when it wants too.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Do you have enhancements enabled for your speakers / headset?

It's supposed to deliver premium audio quality, but can at times create issues.
  • Right-click the speaker icon in bottom right corner and select Sounds
  • Select Playback tab
  • Right-click on Speaker in the playback tab and select Properties
  • Select the Enhancements tab

Here you can see if enhancements are enabled or not. You can Disable them there and apply the change to see whether that helps.

I note you mentioned you updated your Realtek Audio drivers to try and resolve your issue. Sometimes, rolling back the audio driver will achieve a favourable result too!

By the way, speaking of rolling back - have you attempted to uninstall the last update to confirm it is the cause of your current issue. It may well be the cause, but the only way to actually confirm that is to remove the update to see whether the issue persists or not.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input I do appreciate it. Enhancements are not enabled. Rolled back the audio driver, but it did not help. Rolled back the last update to Win 10 and that helped. So I hope that MS will get something done before the November Update of enhancements. This happened on all my computers right after they booted to the desktop. Had not touched a thing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm glad your issue for now is resolved.

It's unfortunate it appears to be related to the November update. As you said, 'Hopefully, Microsoft will fix the issue '.

This particular issue has arisen in previous years, so it seems to me that there may be some companies not working too well with Microsoft to keep on top of System updates. Usually when issues arise, then rolling back a driver update, or installing the latest driver will resolve things - alas not in your case.

Fingers crossed the next Windows 10 update will work out for you!

ps: If this issue arises again, something else you might consider trying is to update the audio driver, but rather than grab realtek, instead choose to pick one yourself, and see whether or not Microsoft's generic HD Audio driver works for you.

I've had to commit to that myself on one computer owing to the fact IDT audio drivers no longer work at all in Windows 10 - they used to.

Reaction score
Ok. Found a new issue. reinstalled the Realtek software from Asus. Installed ok but it did not fix the issue. I ran the troubleshooter for the sound and discovered that it showed a yellow warning that Microsoft had loaded a Microsoft HD Driver also. Device manager shows the Realtek driver load, troubleshooter shows a Microsoft driver loaded. Seems they are fighting over the volume control and driving it up and down.

Regedit32

Reaction score
  • Type device manager into the Cortana search box then press enter
  • In the Device Manager dialog expand the Sound, video and game controllers

You'll see a list of items there along with the driver being used.

Sample.png

• You can choose to right-click on this and select Uninstall device, or . . .
  • You can select Update driver then:
    • Select Browse my computer for drivers
    • Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and select your Asus Realtek driver and apply the change by clicking the Next button

Reaction score
I do not have that selection in my Device Manager. Realtek HD audio is what I have with it using a Realtek issued driver and installed. Under audio inputs and outputs I also have Realtek Digital Output you would think it would use a Realtek driver but it is not. It shows that there is a Microsoft driver dated 3-18-19 installed for this device. I would suspect that is why the Sound Troubleshooter shows the Yellow warning and that a Microsoft HD driver is installed. This really has me baffled as I can usually figure out problems by trial and elimination as I build these computers. I do have an older computer with an older Realtek audio chip that has not been affected and it shows the same driver installation in Device Manager. So I am at the end of what I know how to search and troubleshoot.

Reaction score
I even installed a Sound Blaster Audigy RX sound card after disabling the sound chip and uninstalling the Realtek software, but that did nothing to solve the issue. I have since removed it and am back using the Realtek chip.

Regedit32

Reaction score
It's looking like a wait and see if the next Windows update sorts things.

You ought to open the Feedback app and report your issue, or if someone else already has reported it, the up-vote their report.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help again. Provided feedback in the feedback app so lets hope they sort things out. FYI, 2 out of 4 computers seem to be working ok with the same setup in Device Manager. Go figure on that. Thanks again.

Ask a Question