SOLVED Copying WindowsOld Folder

Bif

Reaction score
Hi all,I understand that after upgrading to 10 Microsoft deletes the Windows.old (7 in my case) after a month to what they say is to save space..now I was wondering can I copy this folder to an external hard-drive, let MS delete it after a month and then use that folder to revert back at a later date if I ever chose to?..or will it simply not be associated with my PC any longer?
I'm currently copying it in it's entirety to my ExtHHD..for what ever reason pending feedback.

Cheers

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
can I copy this folder to an external hard-drive, let MS delete it after a month and then use that folder to revert back at a later date if I ever chose to?
I'm not sure how or if that would actually work.
I certainly wouldn't count on it.
A complete system image, before the upgrade followed by a complete system image after the upgrade is probably a far better way to go.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm not sure how or if that would actually work.
I certainly wouldn't count on it.
A complete system image, before the upgrade followed by a complete system image after the upgrade is probably a far better way to go.
I thought as much,I had made 7 restore/backup dvd's from my old OS but unfortunately no system image.Backed up 10 via system image as well as download and saved a few copies of the 10 ISO...as a just in case measure.
Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
There's not reason to move it back to where it was if you have space on another drive.

What I do is copy the entire .old to a separate backup drive where I keep backup of all my important files. Even though I go through it and copy stuff back to the current installation, I leave the copy on the other drive until I'm absolutely sure I don't need it and then I blow it away.

You can do this with backup software or just occasionally copy stuff over to the other drive. I copy my Documents, Pictures, Outlook pst, downloaded install media and several other files that would be disastrous if the original HD failed.

What I really like about this is that I don't even have to reinstall custom backup software first to recover the files. I just copy them back to where they were. Since HD prices are so low, you can catch a nice drive for really cheap. I bought a WD 4TB red just for this. Since it is only being used for backup, initial speed and transfer rates aren't that important. You can get a 4TB 5400 RPM for about $150. The 2TB Reds are under $100. Of course, later on if you wanted to use the RED for gaming storage, you would suffer performance problems. Well, the drive would suffer performance problems.

Ask a Question