Crash MBR After major update 10 Pro Dell XPS 8920

Reaction score
  • Dear community,

My system has a big problem:

When a major Windows 10 Professional update occurs and this update requires a Windows restart, the boot sector becomes corrupted, and I’m unable to boot the computer. How can I fix this issue, and how can I avoid such a problem in the future with Windows 10 updates?

When this error occurs, which I, unfortunately, didn’t record, but which has occurred three times from reloading old images, it specifies that ‘an error occurred and that recovery should be initiated’. However, when I try to go into recovery mode, the computer doesn’t proceed into this, and instead, the boot returns back to the error and tries to prompt me to try to recover the system.

My System was check by DELL assistant and no error from manufacture.

Computer has the latest BIOS, and I also ran Security check few times, i.e.

sfc /scannow

findstr /c:"[SR]" c:\windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Event log “Application“ does not show any errors

I set Restore points.

This has happened to my computer 3 times when I attempted to reload my computer from a backup image. I use Windows 10 Professional, and I have ensured that my OS is running without any errors in the Event Log file. When I contacted Dell’s hardware support, they confirmed that my computer wasn’t experiencing any physical malfunctions.

For now, I’ve put updates on hold, but on 3/18/2021 there will be a big update, and I cannot push it later. However, I expect that the boot error will reprise at that point.

• 1613396585356.jpeg

• I have antivirus 'BullGrad"
    Thank you ahead of time for any assistance you may offer with this issue.

Reaction score
This has happened to my computer 3 times when I attempted to reload my computer from a backup image
Hi moiseyo,

I would say the back up file is possibly corrupted?.

Get a copy of windows 10 on a USB stick and boot into Advanced Start-up Options to fix your PC.

Read from "If you can't boot Windows 10" :)

Ask a Question