Creating a recovery backup of windows 10

Reaction score
I updated windows 8.1 to 10 and I want to create a recovery backup of 10. I use an external hard drive for backups and have space on it for a copy of windows 10, but I was wondering if it could be put in the recovery partition on my internal hard drive. What would be the recommended action and how can I do it?

Reaction score
I won't say which is better, last thing I want is to get involved with someone attempting to debate the pros and cons.

I'll just suggest what I do on my computer. The decision is yours.

I use the external hard drive to store the System Image Backup.

In the search box next to Start, type file history > top left click File History > bottom left, click System Image Backup > Create a system image > plug in your ext hdd > follow the prompts.

I do that regularly, about once a month or after a bunch of updates have been installed etc.

Many times I had troubles I could not resolve. System Image Backup rescued me.

You can also create a System Repair disk, as well as a Recovery USB Drive if you want to cover all bases.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I updated windows 8.1 to 10 and I want to create a recovery backup of 10. I use an external hard drive for backups and have space on it for a copy of windows 10, but I was wondering if it could be put in the recovery partition on my internal hard drive. What would be the recommended action and how can I do it?
You mean you want to be able to recover Windows 10 without removable recovery device? If so, I suggest you try third party backup software. Free backup software AOMEI Backupper is the one that I use. You can backup Windows 10 to any locations that File Explorer detects including critical volume and NAS.

Ask a Question