Creating new folders

Reaction score
Recently, I have been unable to create new folders in File Explorer. When I click on a new folder icon, I get the "not responding" message and have to exit the application. This began happening several weeks ago and is now happening whenever I try to create a new folder. Can you help?

Reaction score
I would suggest you to run a System File Checker to check corrupted system files.
1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2.Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect

If still can't creat new folder, do a system restore.

Reaction score
Recently, I have been unable to create new folders in File Explorer. When I click on a new folder icon, I get the "not responding" message and have to exit the application. This began happening several weeks ago and is now happening whenever I try to create a new folder. Can you help?

This is happening to me too. And as far as I can see a number of people are having problems. It is random but getting more and more consistent, and clicking new folder causes a shut down of either file explorer if tried that way or Word if there. This is a brand new laptop in the sense of 1 month old and as I use a lot of files, this issue is getting very annoying.

Ask a Question