SOLVED crss.exe hiding in anomalous $recycle.bin directory which can't be erased

Reaction score
Kaspersky Anti-Virus and the Eraser security tool both point to a file called crss.exe in my $recycle.bin directory and say it can't be erased because of the file's permissions.

There are three sub-directories in the $recycle.bin, with long names consisting of S- and lots of digits. Of the two with long names, one ends in -500 and another in -1000. However, Eraser tells me the offending file is in a directory that does not show up, a long name like the others but ending in -1001 This contains \$RKN507L\Scratch\crss.exe.

I'd like to delete the anomolous directory and the crss.exe file.

Any suggestions welcome.

Reaction score
OK well thanks folks but I fixed it myself :)#
For those with similar problems the answer was to restart in 'safe' mode. I displayed the contents of the $recycle.bin directory and deleted them all, one by one. I finally deleted the outstanding recycle directory within it which popped back up again a few seconds later: totally empty.
I exited and ran Eraser again: there were no outstanding files this time. All gone.

Ask a Question