SOLVED EXE files renamed to ini files

Reaction score
I have installed the X Codex Pak 2.7.3m which is supposed to enable more types of videos.
Unfortunately this installation completely crashed my Windows 10.
I can't get anything working.
All .exe files were renamed .ini, and all Desktop icons are blank white paper.
All I can get is "How you want to open this file? Look into MS Store"
Also I get the Notification that says:
"An App default was Reset" (I see that not one, but everything was reset to not working at all)
Tried to reboot the PC 2x without success, and Apps Uninstall also is not working.
My luck is I have Linux for backup to be able to even access internet.
How to I get it reverted back?
Please help.
Thanks in advance
TonyH

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

the following might help you?. :)

Reaction score
If you can get back to your desktop, using Wolfies link, open the task manager and look under the start up tab. If you see the codex pack there, disable it.
This could be the solution. However, I do not think it is that software that has caused the change of handles. Perhaps(?) you downloaded the program from a doubtful source and you have picked up a very mischievous virus. Disabling, as I said, may cure the problem, but it may already be too late.

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

the following might help you?. :)

Thank you Wolfe, much appreciate it.
Been this rabbit hole before and it did not work. Lucky I had a clone on the spare HDD.
Thanks to my Windows 8.1 upgrade to 10 burning up my MOBO on a new (1 year) computer I had to rebuild it with new MOBO.
My Windows 10 are registered, but MS would not Activated it. I have no option to create backups, or Restore points, or external boot disks.
I used cloning as a means of perfect Backup, but MS even disabled booting from cloned HDD.
All other MS Windows repair programs require the activation codes.
Well, anything for mighty buck.
I need to be able to run App uninstall but have no idea what Windows program runs .exe files. That could be a start.
Take care

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

what @davehc said about you having a virus might well be the problem, try an "Offline virus scan" first using Windows Defender if you use it!. :)

If you don't use WD, there are several offline scanners available!. :)

Reaction score
I had the very same error and to solve it, only way and quickly was to carry out the procedure Wolfie suggests a reset of Windows 10.

Reaction score
If you can get back to your desktop, using Wolfies link, open the task manager and look under the start up tab. If you see the codex pack there, disable it.
This could be the solution. However, I do not think it is that software that has caused the change of handles. Perhaps(?) you downloaded the program from a doubtful source and you have picked up a very mischievous virus. Disabling, as I said, may cure the problem, but it may already be too late.
Thank you for your reply Dave.
Will try this one in the morning.
I can boot into Windows 10, and have windows Explorer running, that is how I found the all .exe files were renamed.
I got to find a way to fix the former .exe programs to work again even if it will be one at the time.
Plain renaming did not work. My best royou, stay safe
TonyH
Hi Tony,

what @davehc said about you having a virus might well be the problem, try an "Offline virus scan" first using Windows Defender if you use it!. :)

If you don't use WD, there are several offline scanners available!. :)

Hi Wolfie,
again thanks for your input, much appreciate it.
just to skip the usual and common fixes, here is what I found out:

- Windows Defender has run a check 4x and found no viruses or malware.
- I have no problem booting into Windows 10 and login in.
- All Desktop icons are white paper, and none work. No links from the task bar or Start menu work.
- I can get to Restore, but it does not even start - not that it would be of any use.
- CTRL-ALT-DEL does not start - stopping some process would not fix the problem.
- Have no Internet access from Windows as no browsers work (have them all). All are .exe files (no choice but to use Linux)
- Checked the default Apps by extension - but there is no .exe extension listed - it is missing.
- The programs I know the exe was renamed to ini - renaming them back to exe did not help - still not working.

The only way I was able to get into File Explorer is by opening a Program folder I have on the desktop I keep for the seldom used shortcuts.
No files that still have the .exe extension work anywhere on the PC.
But somehow a screen with apps with their pictures appeared - I have never ever seen this one - apps control panel.
I was able to find and actually uninstall the X Codex program with it.
Unfortunately this action has not fixed the problem.
It is interesting that Xbox Mahjong and Solitaire icons and programs are not affected.
I was able to open the Store, but there is nothing useful there to help me.

?? What is the name of the program that runs the exe files, and where I should find it ??
It is not in Windows/System 32.

Thanks in advance fir your help
TonyH

-

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

I can really only recommend a new install and if you follow the tips below, you will find your files (pics/docs etc) still intact, you will just have to fish them out again!. :)

By the time you have trolled through your OS looking for the problem, you could have installed Win 10, ten times over!. :cool:

Reaction score
" By the time you have trolled through your OS looking for the problem, you could have installed Win 10, ten times over!. "
I think, in his predicament that is the only way to go, but, a fresh install.Iif he keeps his data, . I reckon he may reinherit the exe problem.

Reaction score
Thank you Wolfie and davehc for your help. Really much appreciate it.

I was never worried about my data, as I keep them off my PC on 2 USB3 HDD.
Not one of your tips worked because of my problem:
Unfortunately ALL Windows programs need .exe to run them, including running Backup, Restore, Reset, Recover etc..
Installing Windows afresh requires OS boot and Installation DVD that I do not have - creating it also requires exe
Saving pennies no computer vendor provides any software disks these days.
Re-installation that includes reformatting at least C partition is the only fix for this specific problem.
Both of you do not get it?
If not for reliable Linux I would not have email or internet to look for solution - there is Not a one exe file in entire Windows OS and attached USB that I can click on and make it run...
What solved my problem was a popup at the start up from Windows, asking if I want to reinstall Windows.
It took few days for Windows to realize that there were grave errors in my system. But that is the first time that happened.
Hmm, I had to think about it for about a second. That was something that I could not initiate myself.
My C drive on Windows HDD was reformatted and Windows reinstalled in few hours. And none of my data on the drive D was touched.
It is unbelievable that it is so simple to crash Windows OS so easily.
Will mark this problem solved just to close it.
The real fix would be for Microsoft to protect the Windows OS essential exe files and what is running them.

Take care, stay safe
TonyH

Reaction score
Both of you do not get it?
Hi Tony,

I did suggest in post #8 that you do a re-install, I think both Dave and I do understand what problems you were having and sometimes it is hard to pin the problem down.

What is important is that you have it solved now!. :) :) :)

Ask a Question