Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe files

Reaction score
I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified Explorer's view options to not display thumbnails or icons of the files. But that had no effect. Is it that Explorer is attempting to read the content of these exe files to display the embedded images regardless of how I configure Explorer to operate? Is there anything that can be done to make Explorer display these files faster?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could you share some specifics as to the nature of these .exe files?
Are they native Windows executables or third party applications?
Are they in fact applications or installers?
Is the folder containing these files on the same drive / partition as the OS, or a separate drive / partition than the OS, or on an external device or network storage?

Reaction score
3rd party applications for installations. Some on local PC, connected USB stick, and some over the network in shared folders.

Reaction score
have you tried "start as admin"? sorry I do not know how it is in english, I use different language.

Reaction score
Hmmm. Do you mean start Explorer as admin? If so, no I have not. But one thing I discovered is that the not responding message and Explorer hang ups only happen in the "tile" view. All the others are fine. I can't figure what's so special about the tile view verses say big icons. Must be some rendering thing going on. eh, moving on. new drop please Microsoft.

Ask a Question