SOLVED A: drive showing in explorer

Reaction score
I have a drive not present in computer showing up in explore. Actually it is the A drive. How do I remove it from showing up. If I click it it results in computer have performed an illegal action and will reboot

Reaction score
Your PC probably does not even have an floppy interface and that would explain your PC rebooting.

I don't think W10 supports floppys any more either.

You might want to open your BIos page and see if you can delete this drive there.

Reaction score
Win10 does support floppies but the motherboard may not have a floppy controller so the BIOS should not have that entry. In the same vein I have one Desktop that Device Manager errors on a PCI Communications device, looks for a Dial-Up Modem that does not exist, either onboard or Add-in card.

If needing to work with 3.5" floppy disks one can use an External USB drive, I have 2, one Dell and one generic.

Reaction score
Win10 does support floppies but the motherboard may not have a floppy controller so the BIOS should not have that entry. In the same vein I have one Desktop that Device Manager errors on a PCI Communications device, looks for a Dial-Up Modem that does not exist, either onboard or Add-in card.

If needing to work with 3.5" floppy disks one can use an External USB drive, I have 2, one Dell and one generic.
none of my computers have a build in floppy drive, so i have an usb floppy drive to take into use of the computer where i will use a floppy disk.
The problem here is that the computer run out of driveletters and i then then put in a usb stik. That´s the problem i assume happened. I have now removed 3hd an a dvd drive and the error came up. The a drive is stil shown.

Reaction score
I found the source for the error. I have a type c usb3.1 enclosure with a normal HD in, and if i connect it to the computer it shows up as drive A when i boot the computer. so my fix is not to connekt it for the time being.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I found the source for the error. I have a type c usb3.1 enclosure with a normal HD in, and if i connect it to the computer it shows up as drive A when i boot the computer. so my fix is not to connekt it for the time being.

If you plug in the drive, then right click the start button and go to Disk Management, you should see the a: USB Drive show up on the list. You can right click it and select Change Drive Letter and Paths, which will allow you to assign a different drive letter to the USB HDD.

note: I've just seen from post #3 that you've run out of drive letters, so a: may be the only choice left :eek:.

Reaction score
it is not the case here. there a plenty of driveletters left so it is windows cluttering it up. If i pull the enclosure from the usb3.1 cable the a drive is not shown. So windows is not full error prof. But i think a soft of this kind regardless of programmers on it is difficult to keep full error free.

by the way if I unplug it so that A drive disapear and then plug it in again it is not shown any longer and it is also not shown in diskmanegment, until I reboot the computer

Ask a Question