SOLVED In Win 10 - PC Drive C; is Showing Full - But it's Not

Reaction score
I don't know how or what but my PC it has been Loading stuff from somwhere some have no ID jsut a Lot of Numbers and some Letters I deleted a Pile of them and that gave me Some Disc Space Back but I am sure the drive C : is really only 1/2 used, if that and its been syncing something or what I don't know it's never happened Before Can you help Please Dasha o_O:D

Attachments

• C-Drive Reading Full But its empty.jpg
    C-Drive Reading Full But its empty.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,783
Reaction score
Try going to Settings, System, Storage and click on the C drive at the top of the page. Then go through the file types and see if anything looks funny. If you click on a specific entry, such as Temporary, it will break out what they are.

Do you know why you are showing double drive letters on some of your SD cards?

Reaction score
Have you done a" disk cleanup" yet?? don't forget to delete the content of the temp folders, especially this one:
C:\Users\{youraccount}\AppData\Local\Temp

Reaction score
Try going to Settings, System, Storage and click on the C drive at the top of the page. Then go through the file types and see if anything looks funny. If you click on a specific entry, such as Temporary, it will break out what they are.
Thanks Saltgrass......will be an hour before I can do as you have suggested Cobba?
The EX HDD (four partition's) letters are from a 'crash' 2 years ago, and I tried to re-set them but did not know how - so It got messed lt up ?

So if you think I should Re Name or Re Letter those Partitions I will try

Do you know why you are showing double drive letters on some of your SD cards?
Have you done a" disk cleanup" yet?? don't forget to delete the content of the temp folders, especially this one:
C:\Users\{youraccount}\AppData\Local\Temp

Thank you both Saltgrass and Grizzly Thanks Guys I have not had a chance (Unexpected Visitors I will try and do what you have Tonight and return with the results by Tomorrow AM Thank You so Much Regards Dazzla

Reaction score
Morning Grizzly and Saltgrass, Sorry I took so long comming Back I have done as you bid and it's removed a 4 Folders and Hundreds of Files at C/ Me/AppData/Local/Temp but the Drive C is still indicating 'Full' So don' t know what to do Next Dasha

Reaction score
there is another temporary folder here : C:\Windows\Temp accessing this one may cause a popup windows that says you need admin rights to access it and leaves you the option to continue or cancel. Just hit continue and empty that one as well.
Then you might check the size of the WinSxS folder (in the Windows directory). This one should have somewhere around 10GB, depending on what programs and how many you have installed. It can get up to 30GB AFAIK. Don't do anything with this folder as it is needed for Windows to run.

Reaction score
Had you done as I suggested, you would know exactly where the files were....

Storage.JPG

Reaction score
Saltgrass I should have explained Myself better I did ALL that you suggested Both Yourself and Grizzly. I did not 'post' the Screen Shots because I did not Understand them I will post them Now but the One you refer to Means nothing to me and I am asking what do I do with it please ? It's called: "This PC Screen-Shot" can you tell me which files to delete Please and should I just close the Backup Folder Running in the Background??? Regards Dasha

Attachments

• This PC Usage Storage 05.jpg
    This PC Usage Storage 05.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 882
  • Screenshot 07  - 05 - 01-2017 , 08_01.jpg
    Screenshot 07 - 05 - 01-2017 , 08_01.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 911
  • It will be this back-Up Folder how do I stop i 03t.jpg
    It will be this back-Up Folder how do I stop i 03t.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,016
  • This PC - Local C - Backup   -- SCR Shot 01.jpg
    This PC - Local C - Backup -- SCR Shot 01.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,039
  • This PC Local C Backup SCR Shot 02 Inside that Folder.jpg
    This PC Local C Backup SCR Shot 02 Inside that Folder.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • WED Network Settings Data.jpg
    WED Network Settings Data.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 898
Reaction score
It seems to point to that c:\Backup folder.. do you know what is adding that data? If you click on the Backup listing it should open a more detailed listing. But you do already show that is other views.

If you have an automatic backup set up you might try changing some of the settings.

Space2.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
What drive do you store as a backup in the backup folder?? just the c:\ drive itself?
If so, you are also making a backup of your backup then another backup of your backup. In this case your backup strategy creates a folder that grows exponentially and filling up your drive in no time. that really sucks.
If my assumption is correct you really need to reconsider your strategy. In general, one does not write the backup on the drive that is been backed up.....
Just assuming / guessing here.....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Didn't another member on here have an issue with a Dell backup program that was filling up his drive maybe Dell Data Safe or something like that?
What backup program, backups up on the same drive it is trying to protect. Seems destined to be unavailable, right when you need it the most.

Reaction score
Trouble I believe your correct. It could have been Dell Data Safe, but, I seem to remember it was Windows Backup using File History. Those setting can easily be checked by opening Settings > Update and Security > Backup. Maybe the HD has been selected as the target drive for File History Backup.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe the HD has been selected as the target drive for File History Backup.
I wasn't even aware that you could make File History work like that.
I was under the impression that it required a different drive or at least a different partition.

Reaction score
I gave it a whirl after I upgraded to Win 10. It consumes large amounts of selected disk space. It backs up all personal user folders something like every hour? I turned the feature OFF and decided to continue using Acronis & Aomei imaging on my external USB HDs.

Reaction score
Hi to you All Have done Windows Backup thing you suggested and You are Correct it was "on"
What drive do you store as a backup in the backup folder?? just the c:\ drive itself?
If so, you are also making a backup of your backup then another backup of your backup. In this case your backup strategy creates a folder that grows exponentially and filling up your drive in no time. that really sucks.
if my assumption is correct you really need to reconsider your strategy. In general, one does not write the backup on the drive that is been backed up.....
Just assuming / guessing here.....
Your are Right on Grizzly ... But I still dont know what Files to Delete on C ? My Plan after Turning Of Window Backup (Below ) is to just empty C and then I will redo the Back up thing onthe other Drive S But I dont know how to Empty C without Losing important Files ??? Contiues Below Thanks To You all Dasha
so I have Turned it Off BUT I still Have the Drive C/; Showing Full??

Reaction score
What is the actual size of your Backup folder??
In theory you could simply delete the folder c:\backup and its content as you still have those files on your drive. You just can't restore them anymore from this folder.
Another question: have you tried to defrag/optimize your hard drive yet?? It might free up the space. I am just guessing as I have never used the backup function or the file history from Windows. I do regular system backups using an external program like Acronis TI 2011 (the last one that actually worked) on an external HDD. That is my strategy. Also I save my files every other day on a Desktop in my network that I use as a backup/file server.

Reaction score
Good to hear you found the problem. I would recommend you do as Grizzly mentioned above.
Personally I would save the data you want to keep to an external drive or CD/DVD and go into Advanced setting and perform a Reset this PC and select keep nothing. This will give you a fresh OS, then you can re install your previously saved data my docs, photo's, downloads... to the appropriate C:\User folders.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay thanks To You all, You have all Been Great I appreciate I shal go and do some More The Last Post Backup to another Drive ETC and then Return to close the Thread Thanks So Much Dasha

Reaction score
Thank To You All Its all looking Good so Having Learnt those Lessons and Problem Sold I shall Thank You all again and See you Next Regards Dazzla

Ask a Question