External USB drive not showing

Reaction score
Hi,

I've connected an external Samsung USB hard drive (not a stick) to my fully updated Win 10 PC and it doesn't show up in File manager.

I've gone into Device manager and it shows it as:
'Samsung M3 Portable SCSI Disk Device'

but it's not a SCSI drive.

I tried updating the driver but Windows says it's using the best driver already. This looks like a Windows issue, so what else can I do to force it to recognise the drive?

Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try right clicking the start button, then selecting Disk Management from the quick access menu. It could be that the drive is working OK, but that it doesn't have a partition created or a drive letter assigned.

If you could post a full screenshot of the Disk Management console then we can advise further (be sure to make sure it shows the Samsung USB drive details in the bottom panel).

Reaction score
Thanks - the disk isn't showing on the disk management panel, but it does show in device manager - see attached screen-grabs
device manager.JPG
disk management panel.JPG

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I have some concerns about your C drive recovery partitions. I've never seen them assigned a drive letter before and normally they are before the C drive.

DMW.PNG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is the USB drive 1TB in size? Disk #4 has no drive letter, so this could be it - if you right click it, you should be able to assign one.

Reaction score
What size is the external drive if it is 1 Tb it needs a drive letter you can do yourself in Disk Management.

Reaction score
I agree, although Bassfisher made a good comment on your "Y" drive. I think you can remove that letter as I believe this is the system partition that was made when you updated to the latest version (sometimes Windows 10 adds another system partition).
Tallonius, SCSI does not mean a drive at a SCSI port, it means it operates according to the SCSI protocol. All my external HDD's in the picture below are listed as SCSI drives even though they are USB3 drives.
It depends on what interface the external casing has.

2018-01-25_190115.jpg

Ask a Question