SOLVED Win 10 does not recognise USB3 external drive in USB port.

Reaction score
My Win 10 laptop does not recognise my USB3 external drive in any of the 3 USB2 ports (the laptop does not have any USB3 ports).
The USB3 disk was recognised OK on this laptop's Win 7 before upgrading.
It works OK on USB2 ports on my wife's Win 10 desktop and my aging Win XP / SP3 desktop. Can anyone help?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you been able to check with the computer manufacturer's website to see if there are any driver updates for your particular laptop.
Pay particular attention to BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controllers and USB

Reaction score
My Laptop is an Acer Inspire 5750 i5-2430 64bit. Not sure how to go about finding the relevant driver updates you list. I don't want to end up creating problems on my other USB etc devices.
In Device Manager "System Devices" I can see 4 Chipset devices listed and 7 devices under "USB Controllers", 2 of which are "Chipset Family Enhanced Host Controllers".
Can you be more specific on what should I be looking for?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may just have to reinstall the NEC drivers for the USB sub-system
http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
You'll need to drill down to your particular model and then check for available drivers, even if you have to go back to grab a Windows 7 driver.
There is a chance the upgrade either corrupted the existing driver or else substituted a driver that is less than optimal for your particular device(s).

Ask a Question