SOLVED WD USB external hard Drive

Reaction score
Hello, i have my intel i7-6700k desktop computer with 16GB of RAM, running 64 bit Windows 10 Home, fully updated.
I use two WD external hard drives for back up.
The 1st one is plugged in a rear USB3 socket.
I only switch on the power when the drive is required, for reasons I cannot understand the drive letter has changed from G to F, I have been trying to put it back to G, but no success so far, do you know how I can do this?

The 2nd WD external hard drives is plugged into a front USB3 socket, and providing the 1st drive is turned off always comes up as the G drive.

I prefer both drives to be named drive G, as this means I then do not need to keep changing the setup for my backup software.
I hope I have explained this OK.
Many thanks for reading.
Barry

Reaction score
Barry, did you had by chance a virtual CD/DVD drive installed that had the letter 'F' and may have deleted that one??
Of course you can assign your drives a letter in the disk management.

2017-03-31_201533.jpg
2017-03-31_201628.jpg

Just make sure you always have ONE of your backup drives connected at a time otherwise Windows will forget the assigned letter and the drive will not appear in Windows Explorer....

Reaction score
Hello, many thanks Comp Cmndo & Grizzly for your tips.
No I never had a virtual CD/DVD drive installed, what might have happened is that i turned on both of my WD external hard drives at the same time.
After reading the tips I used the disk management to change it back to G.
Many thanks for your help.
Barry

Ask a Question