SOLVED sihost.exe & explorer.exe problems

Reaction score
I was working on my computer yesterday when it suddenly rebooted. When I did, it came up with a sihost.exe system warning (Unknown Hard Error), when I clicked on it, I got the same thing only it was for explorer.exe. I have read and read on different things to try to fix it but have not had much luck.

I did find out that if i just left it alone when the sihost warning came up, it would go ahead and boot but with limited functionality, speakers, don't work, no search capability in file manager etc etc but other wise it seems to be fine.

Anyone have any ideas??

Reaction score
Sihost.exe is a genuine file, but is a target for hackers and spammers. First, run a malware scan and see if it corrects it. If not post back and there are several other ways to deal with the problem

Reaction score
I have run both malware and a virus scan (norton360) and both came back clean. I have been in the registry to make sure it had sihost had not been replaced and it had not.

Reaction score
Hi Shooter,

what version of Win 10 do you have?. :)

Reaction score
I want to say 1903?? That may not be right. I know the May 2020 update is pending and I was thinking about upgrading to the new version. I saw yesterday where it was available now without having to wait. I currently copying all the files on the computer to an external drive, not a "backup" but the actual files.

I really can't do much with it right now for fear of not completing the copying. once it finished I'll reboot it and find out the correct version.

Reaction score
If you do have version 1903, I would do an upgrade before doing anything else. ;)

Reaction score
I got lucky that the update was available. It hs been installed and so far every thing seems to be back to normal. I haven't poked around any to see what settings may have changed like in the start up menu but I'll get to that tomorrow.

It still seems a little sluggish like it did after the last update but I'm hoping after I shut it off and reboot it tomorrow it will improve.

Thank you guys for all your help.

Reaction score
tomorrow, or shortly. It is possibly updating the graphics card . always the last, and maybe a couple of lingering minor updates.

Reaction score
Hi Shooter,

did you update or upgrade to the latest version (2004)?. :)

Reaction score
He said " I got lucky that the update was available " His previous post referred to the 2004. I assumed he meant, with the above quote, that was it.
Bu anyway, on you standard insistence, he has marked the problem as solved

Reaction score
Sorry Gentlemen, busy day. Yes I did upgrade to 2004, It seems to have fixed both the sihost and the explorer issue. The sihost warning does not come up when it is booted and all the systems that were disable before are now working.

I wish I could upgrade the graphics card but it is a laptop and the card is integrated in the board.

As an added precaution, I am running another malware and virus scan.

Ask a Question