SOLVED Default user in center login screen when switch user

Reaction score
Hi,
I often switch from my "private user" to "work user" back and forth
When I do that I always get my "private user" (=default user, =admin) login credentials presented at the center of the screen requiring ne to enter the PIN
Problem is when I try to switch from the default-user to the other-user. I often forget to select the other-user and I mistakenly enter the password set for the other-user in the center password field.
Is there a tweak to change the "switch user login page" configuration?
So that the password field will show only after I select the user. Best would be to get the list of user that shows on the left edge moved to the center when switching users.

Thanks!
dinUser

Reaction score
Well, thank you Wolfie for your tip. It may be the right way. But please help me confirm that I would use the right option in that doc.
The way I would like to see the login screen is best depicted under the option "Showing Logged Domain Users on Windows 10 Login Screen"http://woshub.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/domain_user_on_windows_10_login_screen.jpg

Except that it is a windows home PC with local users only, not domain.
If I follow the instructions under "Showing Logged Domain Users on Windows 10 Login Screen" would it work for win-home? Would I get all the three local-accounts listed for use, whether logged in or not?
Also, all options require using gpedit.msc
I have tried to enable gpedit.msc for win10 home edition with the guide in that same site:
http://woshub.com/group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-for-windows-10-home/
No avail. I created the bat file, right-clicked the bat on explorer and selected "run as admin". no result. I am set as admin for this PC and ran the bat file as the admin user.

I now found this other page on enabling gpedit. Is it any better?
https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/
The only relevant files I found in my C:\Windows\servicing\Packages folder carry the amd64 letters. My PC is has an Intel i5 CPU...
Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~*

Thanks,
dinUser

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
Thanks for persevering...
I may have mispresented my issue. My login screen is fine, "normal". I get all the three users I have listed on the left side (work/private/guest).
My issue is that when I logout or ask to switch user, the login screen comes back with the last-used user in the center, as default. Now that must be the normal way. Except that I sometimes forget to select that other user I need (normaly swiching work/private). I fill in the other password and of course get an error notice.

What I am trying to have is that I first would be required to select a user and I won't be able to enter the password prior to that.
This issue is relevant for me because I switch back and forth work/private more than once a day...

Reaction score
Hi dinUser,

do you click on a user button so it shows that will be the preferred user account?. Do you have the same problem if you restart instead of just logging out?. Did you check to see if you need to upgrade to version 2009 (20H2)?. :)

Reaction score
  • Upgrade to version 2009 (20H2) is still pending. I think it is not yet "mandatory" for security. Windows update service is working fine and getting me updates regularly. Says "you are up to date" and that version 2009 (20H2) is "available", i.e. optional.
  • No problem when I restart instead of just logging out. The default account shows as default. Same as when I log out. It is when I go for the "switch user" option that I "expect :p" windows to "understand" that I am about to login as another user
  • "do you click on a user button so it shows that will be the preferred user account?" Not sure what you mean. I have one admin account, supposedly "preferred"

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. I have one admin account, supposedly "preferred"
What I meant is when you click on a user icon, does that name appear over the password entry box?.

Although it says the upgrade is optional, I would do to see whether it solves the problem for you!. :)

Reaction score
What I meant is when you click on a user icon, does that name appear over the password entry box?.
yes
I do not have a problem that requires a solution. Works fine. What I am seeking is an option to TWEAK windows login behavior.

Ask a Question