SOLVED Deferring Upgrades

Reaction score
In W10 Pro, under Local Group Policy Editor, I've enabled "Defer Upgrades and Updates" and set defer upgrades to 0 months. What time will elapse before an "upgrade" automatically takes place?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I've not taken a look at that personally but I'm guessing that since you set it to zero months .... it will never do an upgrade.

My question is; why would you want to do this?

Reaction score
I've not taken a look at that personally but I'm guessing that since you set it to zero months .... it will never do an upgrade.

My question is; why would you want to do this?
I'm lead to believe (unconfirmed) that Business Branch (CBB) computers have an automatic 4 month delay before an upgrade occurs - if set to 0 months.

Reaction score
You are correct, MrEd. MS say:
"Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available"

Local information, from the source, confirms that "several months" is, indeed, four.

Reaction score
This thread is marked solved. I am still intrigued by the problem, and, after extensive googling, which only led to countless repeats by various media, of exactly the same content, this was the best I could come up with. Take it or leave it
"Microsoft also states that reports that Windows 10 being forced on users are “not accurate” and suggests that users who seeing Windows 10 installed unexpectedly might have pre-selected to upgrade to the new operating system.

A Microsoft spokesperson said in a Q&A: “We have updated the upgrade experience for some of our customers, who had previously reserved their upgrade, to schedule a time for their upgrade to take place.”

Users may have also have unwittingly clicked or tapped on the ‘accept’ or ‘OK’ button, which user interface elements such as Windows Access Control and the modern trend of extensive permissions and password requests bombarding users with pop-ups demanding action, has trained users to do."

I think the issue here is delaying the progressive/incremental upgrades and updates of W10 after it has been installed. If your machine is on the business branch (CBB) path, you can delay upgrades and updates for a limited period of time to allow any software changes to "settle" before being forced on you. There is no better way to test software than it being made available to the masses.

Ask a Question