Delete User Files Win 10

Reaction score
When I upgraded to Win 10 when using explorer I've noticed unused/unwanted user file folders Local Disk (C:) > Users>
Admin
DefaultAppPool
Public
Norton
Norton User-PC
Sean
Temp
Temp.User-PC
When I go to cntlpl> User Accounts it displays 2 users Admin and Sean which is how I initially set up after the upgrade.
The file Norton User PC folder contains 676MB of data. I tried to delete Norton, Norton User-PC folders but I'm disallowed, It says I need Administrator permission even though I'm signed in as the Admin. Admin and Sean are valid and active files.
My question is, are these files Norton -Norton User PC my orphan user files from Win 7 Pro files?
Is it safe to delete them?
And how do I go about deleting them safely?
Any help would be appreciated.

Norton

Reaction score
Well probably if you can't delete they are in use I never noticed if Norton created a folder under users. I just created a new account on my PC and the last thing I did was copy the folders of the original account to the new account. It wouldn't let me do it under the new account so I logged in under the old account and it let me copy the folders.

Reaction score
Norton is me not the antivirus program LOL. I still don't understand why the current Admin can't delete other users inactive or orphaned files. Sean is my sons user account, I'm using the built in local admin account, didn't want anything to do with a MS Admin account. They (MS) have enough control over us as it is.

Reaction score
You appear to have the IIS ( internet information Service) running. It does not start automatically, without manual intervention, so I guess that at some time you must have accidentally enabled it.

If you do not recall using, or having any use for it, do this. Open the Control Panel - Programs and features. (or right click the Start orb and open Program and features.

Top left. "Turn Windows features on or off".
You will probably find the the IIS is ticked (black square) as being active. Untick it and allow the OS to disable it - takes a few seconds. You will then need to restart the computer.

fwiw. Using the built in Administrative account, give you very few extras. It certainly does not stop Microsoft, if they are interested, from having any control. In fact, quite the opposite. It leaves your OS more open for hackers to enter.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm using the built in local admin account
You have referenced twice an account called "admin", referring to it in both post #1 and #3.
There is no such account native to Windows 10.
There is a native (hidden / disabled) "Administrator" account.
Open a command prompt and type
whoami
hit enter
that should show the current user name of the account you are using
then type
net user
hit enter
that should show you a list of all the accounts on your computer (active or inactive).

Did you at some point rename the "Norton" account to "Admin"
IF so that will not impact the actual name of the profile folder contained in C:\Users.
You cannot delete the profile folder or otherwise remove an account that you are currently logged on as. You will need another account that is a member of the local administrators group in order to perform such a task.
Be very careful if you are not certain of what you are doing and if you only have a single account that is currently a member of the local administrators group, active on your computer.

When you are logged in to your account, open file explorer, expand "This PC, right click on "Documents" in the left navigation pane and choose properties.
In the Documents Properties dialog box, check the "Location" information and determine the path to which it is pointing.

Reaction score
@Trouble
No I never renamed the built in Administrators account. Norton was an old Win 7 user account. I deleted the user file "Norton" files but As the Administrator can't delete the folder which contains user app data.

@davehc
In answer to your response. I did find the the IIS is ticked (black square) as being active.deselected it and allowed the OS to disable it. I'm still unable to delete unused user files, maybe it's because they contain app data. When I try to delete the unused users files, the pop up says I need to provide Administrators password, but there is no option to enter my Administrators password. Strange! for me anyway LOL
Thanks guys for your response. I appreciate that.

Reaction score
you could of just desable it in dos
netuser so on and so forth that way you dont lose all personal data

Ask a Question