Dell Latitude SD Card Reader Dead after Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, why?

Reaction score
MSFT, The Win 10 upgrade proceeded just fine with no errors. Also, it has been running fine for over a week. But, the other day, I tried to use the integrated SD card reader and - - - nothing happened. What's up?

Fact 1: The card reader has been working just fine since I purchased the machine 3-years ago (laptop model = E6530)

Fact 2: This SD card has been read by the reader many times, while using Win 7.

Fact 3: The SD card has been working just fine in the camera.

Fact 4: The SD card is a PNY 16GB, 50 MB/s

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Harvey.

Was the SD card installed when you upgraded to 10? If so, it would have installed the best drivers., If not, follow Ozziebob's advice in the previous post.

Reaction score
Do other SD cards work? In some cases the SD card reader can become disabled. I like to check the Device Manager and look at the USB hubs. Look at the properties of each one and see if it has an Advance tab. If it does, open that and select the Reset Hub option if it has one.

Having said that, I have seen other threads regarding SD cards and most seem to relate back to cameras. Perhaps the camera sets up the card a way not compatible with Win 10. I would also check the camera manufacturer for help. You may need to format the card so start looking for a way to transfer the files to another location.

Ask a Question