Did I Make A Mistake Buying A New PC?

Reaction score
I've purchased a new Windows 10 PC desktop tower that will arrive Thursday. My 10 year old ASUS PC was acting weird. Web pages were loading so slow if at all. Several times a day I had to do a restart to get anything done. The other day, I decided to remove a few things, just to see if it would help things speed up a little. I removed Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, and Google Chrome browser (I use Firefox). The old PC is now acting pretty decent. I never had a problem with those programs installed, until about a month ago.

Of course now I'm having buyers remorse. :eek: I know it's a 10 year old PC, but I'm now thinking it might have a couple of more years left. It's not a $$ thing. I guess what I'm looking for is a "you did the right thing", to make me feel better. :oops:

Reaction score
I'd say No, you did not make a mistake. It sometimes is necessary to get new hardware now and then and consider that you get a new warranty for at least a year. The old computer can be kept in reserve if $$ is not a breaking point. I keep older ones, have Desktops with WinXP, Win7 and Win10 plus Notebooks with Win10 and one with WinVista that was given me [but the display panel hinges are doing their best to break loose from the base so I don't use it much].

Reaction score
Yes, your problem could well have been Malwarebytes seems the last upgrade fo 4.1 came out in March caused issues with my 5-year-old Asus g752VY Notebook. Been trying to solve the issue with MB Team without success. for some reason, it wants to turn off WD and Noton Firewall causing Windows Security to block access to the internet.
No, you did the right thing upgrading your desktop we all need new hardware every few years many advantages to running 64 bit Windows, New SSD are so much faster than Spinner hard drives. CPU has more cores faster with less heat created.

Reaction score
Obviously, you are both referring to the paid edition of
malwarebytes And you want it resident?
The free edition , for some reason, puts the executive in the start up folder, but is easily disabled

Reaction score
Obviously, you are both referring to the paid edition of
Malwarebytes And you want it resident?
The free edition, for some reason, puts the executive in the start up folder, but is easily disabled
Yes using the paid-for MB, If I activate no issues. for now, I just have MB uninstalled Not worried I think Windows Security and Norton have me covered. I'm sure MB will sort out the issue as they have in the past

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I feel much better. I am looking forward to the new PC. It will give me something to do while I'm stuck at home due to the shut down.

Reaction score
Yes using the paid-for MB, If I activate no issues. for now, I just have MB uninstalled Not worried I think Windows Security and Norton have me covered. I'm sure MB will sort out the issue as they have in the past
Actually I meant do not activate I have no issues, if I activate in the next few days it will lock out my Firewall its a conflict and just on one of my computers

Reaction score
SPATS, I went round & round with a few web/computer/server entities about our PC's and their constantly slowing down due to THEIR upgrades.
About 10-ish years ago I traced the beginnings of this most recent slowdown to webpages not loading issue to w3.org .
Now it's fine and dandy to suggest directions as long as said directives are backwards compatible, but back then their suggestions actually began a change in our older PC use. SCRIPS for one and the over abundance of use. Another was their (UBERLY stupid suggestion) to use lighter color fonts on white backgrounds because they claimed it was easier on the eyes. (pardon me while I sneeze boooOOO-SHT).
But I'm still looking for who made the suggestion to write software to end the use of oldersoftware thus FORCING us to buy newer PC's. I have a hunch it was that 'New World Government' krap. You see, that suggestion of PC change came about near the time of 5G to begin implementation. (I'm not discussing it here, too volatile since i HATE when I'm forced to spend more $$ than necessary).
OK, so...
Most of us here understand how to work around issues cropping up in our PC's but this year even I had to toss my hands up and upgrade... even tho my (1)2002 & (3)2004 WinXP-SP4 586 PC's were working just fine, including it's security.
I've come to trace this forced PC changes back to the AOL era. Back then it was near impossible to cut strings & go to elsewhere. Took me 8 months of random calling, guess they finally got tired of me? But more likely the lawsuit threat. I kept good records of call dates & discussions.
ANYWAYS... ...
You'll be a little happier with the new PC. As usual, check it for built in spyware.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Waiting for Moderator Approval, 4 1/2 hrs and counting?
Sometimes new members posts (under 5 or 10 post count) get checked against an anti-spam database - it's usually accurate but in this case held your post back for a bit until a moderator saw it. Sorry it took a few hours to get approved, but there's not always a moderator or administrator online. It won't be a problem going forward, as it only applies to the first posts that new members make (it weeks out 99% of forum spam).

Reaction score
OHhhh, it's been a really long while that happened... totally forgot about that.
THANKS.

Reaction score
The almighty reinstall fixes slow pcs by cleaning up everything that is slowing it down and if you don't want the old pc... I receive packages

Ask a Question