SOLVED Disable/delete login password/pin

Reaction score
Hi.

As the sole user of a home PC, I wanted to do away with the need to provide a password when logging in. I followed the advce on a windows 10 website. Instead of being deleted, a secondary account was created which became the default and would not accept my existing password. Luckily enough, my original adminstrator account password request was visible, so I am able to log in in the normal way.

I am frightened to delete the new account( even if I knew how to do it, in case it messes about with my admin account. I am on ver 1903 os build 18362.836. any advice on a) how to undo what I have managed to mess up so far, and b) how to do away with the need for a pasword/pin on login wouldbe most appreciated.
Thank you

Reaction score
You can use the netplwiz method.....just google it.
Hi. I did. I followed the instructions, it offered me the opportunity to chage the password, which I did by just pressing enter ie no characters and when rebooted, I had the extra account which wouldnt accept a blank return ie no password, or my exisying password

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Something went wrong for sure. It should never created a 2nd account. Do you have the link to the site for the instructions that you followed.

FYI: I just set up a pin and use that for signing into windows. It's just easier for me....you might want to give that a try.

Reaction score
Something went wrong for sure. It should never created a 2nd account. Do you have the link to the site for the instructions that you followed.

FYI: I just set up a pin and use that for signing into windows. It's just easier for me....you might want to give that a try.
Thank you. I wanted to do without but dont want to risk another foui-up. I'll just have to find a way a getting rid of the second account. In response to your questiion, I just googled my how to request and it came back with the netplwiz that you mentioned. I just follwed the instructions but didnt save the link. I tried a few because the instructions didnt always conform to my windows. I should have mentioned that it is the home version, updated for free from win 7 as a legacy way back in the day. Although I have automatic updates, my version doesnt seem as up to date as others mentioned elsewhwere on this site. Dont suppose that this makes things any clearer but thank for your help

Reaction score
Hi.

Following my last, I ran netplwiz again andI found that I had assigned a user with debugger rights, dont ask me how! I reverted to administrator and the second account has gone. I will now leave well enough alone. Thanks again

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Have you manually checked for windows updates? What OS version and build are you running?

Reaction score
Have you manually checked for windows updates? What OS version and build are you running?
Hi Again

64 bit X64 processor running windows home v1903 OS build 18362.836. apparently installed 28 Aug 2019

My updates are set to automatic and appear to be doing so on a regular basis. See attached

Apparently update 2020-01 for v1903 (KB4497165) is pending download? and 2020-04 (KB4549951 failed to install on 17 Apr 2020

Hope that this helps

Attachments

• Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    136.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot (16).png
    Screenshot (16).png
    154.1 KB · Views: 227

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You need to install OS 1909. Go here and click update and see it that works for you. If not you might need to clean install it using the Media creation tool and creating a bootable USB.

Reaction score
Wow. I read so many stories about this going wrong. Is media creation tool something that I have to download? Is it best to jump straight to the second option. Will I need a product key? As I mentioned, mine is a free legacy version from win 7 (I do have the original licence key). Thank you for continuing to advise. I will move slowly and await your response before attempting anything

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Is media creation tool something that I have to download?
Yes....this is the tool that will create your install media.

Will I need a product key?
No.....but double check your activation now in settings. If it says activated with digital license your good to go. If not, during the process of installing the OS, when it asks for your product key....leave it blank and proceed. It will activate itself with a digital license with your MS account info.

I have to tool saved in my downloads folder. I create my install media on a 8 Gb USB thumb drive and keep it lying around. Installing OS from a USB 3.0 takes less the 15 minutes for me. Everyone's experience is different.

Key Note: Please please backup all your personal data (documents, pictures, videos and anything else you deem necessary) to either a large USB thumb drive or portable HDD. I prefer using USB thumb drives. This way of something should go wrong, at least you have all your personal date saved.

Reaction score
Yes....this is the tool that will create your install media.

No.....but double check your activation now in settings. If it says activated with digital license your good to go. If not, during the process of installing the OS, when it asks for your product key....leave it blank and proceed. It will activate itself with a digital license with your MS account info.

I have to tool saved in my downloads folder. I create my install media on a 8 Gb USB thumb drive and keep it lying around. Installing OS from a USB 3.0 takes less the 15 minutes for me. Everyone's experience is different.

Key Note: Please please backup all your personal data (documents, pictures, videos and anything else you deem necessary) to either a large USB thumb drive or portable HDD. I prefer using USB thumb drives. This way of something should go wrong, at least you have all your personal date saved.
Hi.

I have only just picked up your last response, thank you for perservering. I did back up my docs etc to a thumb drive but realises that I would lose all my installed programme which I would then have to reinstal. I use my PC daily at the moment for video conferencing so when local PC fixer offered to do everything overnight, I jumped at the chance. There was a charge but I feel that it was well spent - I was way outside my own comfort zone. Once again thank you, I hope that you do not feel that you've wasted your time, hopefully these posts will help others. These forums will still be my first port of call whenver I have a problem.

Finally, I had already marked my problem as solved but your imput deserves more. Is there an additional way to acknowledge your advice?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hey....there you go, as long as it's fixed properly. Most users like yourself feel that way......it's normal. Once you dive into it on a backup system (PC), you realize......hey, I was worried for nothing. Not always but 95% of the time there a no issues and the satisfaction of accomplishing this type trouble shooting on the OS side.....is a very welcomed pat on the back for oneself.

Nah....we're just happy to help!

Ask a Question