SOLVED How to Disable SearchUI.exe in Windows 10

Reaction score
Opinions on this please. I don`t use Cortana. Saw this and became very curious..:)

Thanks for any advice....Jim

Reaction score
I use this reg file to disable cortana
NoCortana.reg
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
------------------------------
or
remove Cortana from Windows 10?
win + r
gpedit.msc
Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search. Double-click the policy named Allow Cortana. You can kill Cortana easily in Windows 10 Pro via the Group Policy Editor. When the policy window appears just click Disable.
--------------------------------
Uninstall Cortana

@echo off
cd /d "%~dp0"
echo Uninstalling Cortana...
CLS
install_wim_tweak.exe /o /l
install_wim_tweak.exe /o /c Microsoft-Windows-Cortana /r
install_wim_tweak.exe /h /o /l
echo Cortana should be uninstalled. Please reboot Windows 10.
pause

Regedit32

Reaction score
Some time ago now, some Users reported issues with High CPU usage caused by the SearchUI.exe process, however, Microsoft through various tweaks and testing within the Windows 10 Insider program, plus certain computer manufacturers stepping up and sorting things out on their end has pretty much resolved this issue now.

If you are not experiencing any negative issues from this process, I'd personally recommend leaving it alone.

Some of the known side affects of messing with Cortana or the SearchUI.exe process far outweigh any benefit of preventing it running:
  • Unstable access to Start Menu with an flow on affect to accessing installed apps
  • Unstable access to the Run and Search dialogs, making life a little more complicated, although Win + R remained stable
  • Issues with User Accounts becoming disabled to the point you could not download updates without manually repairing Cortana settings, with the flow on affect of creating Security issues if you miss an important update

Some months ago now, Microsoft separated the Start Menu from some other processes to make it more efficient to isolate issues and resolve them quickly should anything arise. However, messing around with Windows 10 components might result in creating an unstable OS with not quick fix, other than to reinstall the OS.

Each to their own on what they choose to do with Cortana or the SearchUI.exe process, but that old saying, ' If it ain't broke don't fix it ' seems to me quite apt in this particular case.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Some time ago now, some Users reported issues with High CPU usage caused by the SearchUI.exe process, however, Microsoft through various tweaks and testing within the Windows 10 Insider program, plus certain computer manufacturers stepping up and sorting things out on their end has pretty much resolved this issue now.

If you are not experiencing any negative issues from this process, I'd personally recommend leaving it alone.

Some of the known side affects of messing with Cortana or the SearchUI.exe process far outweigh any benefit of preventing it running:
  • Unstable access to Start Menu with an flow on affect to accessing installed apps
  • Unstable access to the Run and Search dialogs, making life a little more complicated, although Win + R remained stable
  • Issues with User Accounts becoming disabled to the point you could not download updates without manually repairing Cortana settings, with the flow on affect of creating Security issues if you miss an important update

Some months ago now, Microsoft separated the Start Menu from some other processes to make it more efficient to isolate issues and resolve them quickly should anything arise. However, messing around with Windows 10 components might result in creating an unstable OS with not quick fix, other than to reinstall the OS.

Each to their own on what they choose to do with Cortana or the SearchUI.exe process, but that old saying, ' If it ain't broke don't fix it ' seems to me quite apt in this particular case.

Regedit32

I think leaving it alone is what I will do :) I am not experiencing any high cpu usage. I have been keeping an eye on it since making this post. I just ran across this tip, And as usual, I thought about shooting myself in the foot again Thanks to all, Still learning...Jim

Reaction score
I use this reg file to disable cortana
NoCortana.reg
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
------------------------------
or
remove Cortana from Windows 10?
win + r
gpedit.msc
Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search. Double-click the policy named Allow Cortana. You can kill Cortana easily in Windows 10 Pro via the Group Policy Editor. When the policy window appears just click Disable.
--------------------------------
Uninstall Cortana

@echo off
cd /d "%~dp0"
echo Uninstalling Cortana...
CLS
install_wim_tweak.exe /o /l
install_wim_tweak.exe /o /c Microsoft-Windows-Cortana /r
install_wim_tweak.exe /h /o /l
echo Cortana should be uninstalled. Please reboot Windows 10.
pause

Thank you...

Ask a Question