Disabling Win10 update that fails

Reaction score
I sent a laptop with 64bit Windows10 Enterprise v1809 to the Philippines from Australia. It tries to update, but fails, and then is unusable while it rolls-back the attempted update. Many attempts to fix the update failure were tried in vain. So now it is often unusable as the updating can not be prevented - and so the inevitable uninstall with disablement follows. Since the update always fails, is there a way of preventing the attempt to update ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
With no information as to which update is failing and what if any Error Number / Code you're receiving it is difficult to diagnose or suggest a possible solution to the problem.
Considering the two disparate geographical locations involved it may have something to do with Regional, Language, Date Time or keyboard issues. It might even involve some convoluted export rules or regulations I'm not familiar with.

At version 1809, having skipped 1903 and 1909 and now 2004.....
My suggestion would be to secure the latest ISO version available from Microsoft, use that ISO to create installation media,
Backup any and all critical data presently on the problem device and then wipe the current installation in preparation for a custom clean install by booting from the installation media.

Even this link
Is probably useless to you as it is for the U.S. English download and you'll need the link for the proper region.

Reaction score
Using you link, he can scroll right down to the bottom of the page, click the language there, and change it to the appropriate country.

Reaction score
Davehc - there is no reason to believe that language is an issue.

Trouble Noob whisperer - you seem to have misinterpreted my request. Having tried many times in various ways to update the v1803, I've become resigned to my inability for that to be achieved. While an up-to-date system is ideal, it is still true that a v1803 is better than none at all, so I am now looking at just functionality, rather than achieving update. Since roll-back is so disabling, I want to avoid THAT, by preventing the laptop from TRYING to update. Isn't there a way to defer updating and to keep doing that indefinitely ?

Reaction score
He's not suggesting updating from 1803. He's suggesting completely reinstalling from scratch to 2004. 1803 is end of life come next May, so it'll need to be updated sooner or later.
Language can be an issue with Windows Update.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My question is : is there a work-around to prevent the laptop from trying to update ?
I don't know, and I don't know because I don't remember that much about version 1809.

There have been features and functions present in various versions that will allow you to defer, delay, pause of otherwise avoid updates but I seriously don't remember what might have been available in your version.

My current installation has this available

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
That 35 day limit for deferral is what I want a work around for. It does not differ between versions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since you reported running Enterprise Edition....
This may be of some help
Scroll down and read the bit about "Delay Updates for 365 Days

Reaction score
That is the kind of work-around I was looking for - however even a 1 year deferral for 1803 would only be till 1903 - which has long passed.

Reaction score
Hi Sebastian,

another option which you might want to consider?. :)

Reaction score
Yes, that is an option - but not available in the Philippines in this particular situation. If I had the laptop here, I would not even be asking ....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is the kind of work-around I was looking for - however even a 1 year deferral for 1803 would only be till 1903 - which has long passed.
There is some conjecture that adjusting a particular registry key might work
Even the author admits
It is unclear to me whether this tweak to change days limit will work forever or not as I don't use pause updates feature in Windows 10.
That pretty much exhausts any information I'm able to find that might address your issue.

Reaction score
In spite of the confusion about the number of days involved, this does sound quite promising, and 'I' will try it as soon as able. Incidentally, that means waiting for a mutually convenient opportunity, and then doing it rempotely in Team Viewer. Will report back on the results

Reaction score
I did end up ADDING a DWORD for the flight......., and setting its value to 99999999, did NOT increase the '35' days already showing in Settings. On the other hand, I got the chance to SET deferral till Nov 5. If I can KEEP deferring by small increments, it is a work-around that may be better than putting up with the inconvenience caused by 'undoing update'.

Reaction score
I seem to remember that different countries have different regional lockout (or region coding) . This link will take you to the Wikipedia page that explains it, and possibly how to change yours. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout This could prevent your update on a machine originally from Australia that is now located in the Philippines. It's worth a read.

Reaction score
Thank you. The 'peripherals' mentioned would not cause problems. The work-arounds are therefore not applicable. I'm very interested to see what happens on or after Nov 5 - the date till which, updating is supposed to be deferred.

Ask a Question