Disappearing File Folder

Reaction score
I had a file folder which contained many files. Last night, I was adding a few new files to the folder when it simply disappeared in front of me. I have searched everywhere I can think of, even the trash can, and cannot find this folder. This is the second time that this has happened to me. I have a partial backup of the folder, but that is not the issue here. I am trying to find out why folders just vanish and where they might go. I don't use Onedrive. I've never even been on it, or even signed in to it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this happens or where to find the folder? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Reaction score
I suppose the first thing I would recommend is to do nothing drastic. Take some time to consider and search for the files or file types which were contained in the folder.

Do you run your system with a Local Account or a Microsoft Account?

Could you have mistakenly renamed the folder or was there any encryption associated with it?

Reaction score
I have been searching for many hours, but find no trace of the folder. I run my system with a Microsoft account. The folder was not encrypted, and I don't believe that I could have erased it. I'm not perfect, so anything is possible, I guess. However, in this case, I was watching the list of folders to select from when I saw the file vanish in front of me. Any suggestions? Do any of the recovery apps work? Like Stellar? Or, is there one you would advise me to use? I'm at my wits ends.

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with any file recovery utilities.

Have you tried looking for it using the Admin Command Prompt window and possibly even booting into that recovery option so you can check outside of Windows?

You haven't created any images of your system recently since you may be able to recovery the folder, if necessary, from there?

Booting into something like Linux live or one of the Partition Management utilities, such as Partition Wizard, may allow you to check the files on the drive but the command prompt may work as well.

Someone else may have experience with file recovery utilities. If you have a new system using Secure Boot you may run into booting problems with some utilities.

Reaction score
The disappearing folder would that happen to be Windows.Old?
Locate disappeared folders
To do that, follow these steps:
  1. Open This PC and locate your hard drive. Right click it and choose Properties.
  2. Go to Tools tab and click Check Now button. Your hard drive will be scanned for errors. After the scan is completed, hidden files and folders should be restored.
Fix: Disappearing Files and Folders on Windows 10
windowsreport.com/my-files-folders-disappeared-windows-10/

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with any file recovery utilities.

Have you tried looking for it using the Admin Command Prompt window and possibly even booting into that recovery option so you can check outside of Windows?

You haven't created any images of your system recently since you may be able to recovery the folder, if necessary, from there?

Booting into something like Linux live or one of the Partition Management utilities, such as Partition Wizard, may allow you to check the files on the drive but the command prompt may work as well.

Someone else may have experience with file recovery utilities. If you have a new system using Secure Boot you may run into booting problems with some utilities.

Reaction score
The disappearing folder would that happen to be Windows.Old?
Locate disappeared folders
To do that, follow these steps:
  1. Open This PC and locate your hard drive. Right click it and choose Properties.
  2. Go to Tools tab and click Check Now button. Your hard drive will be scanned for errors. After the scan is completed, hidden files and folders should be restored.
Fix: Disappearing Files and Folders on Windows 10
windowsreport.com/my-files-folders-disappeared-windows-10/

Ask a Question